Need your talk or text logs?
MT073's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, March 30th, 2013 3:49 PM

Receiving same text message repeatedly

Interesting phenomena just experienced.  A buddy (iPhone, AT&T) just sent me a text and then about every 1 - 2 minutes I would receive the same text over and over, with the same timestamp on each message.  I called him up and asked if anything was going on on his end and he said he sent it only once and in fact had replied with a couple more texts, that I had not received.  We both recycled power on our phones  and the problem went away and I received the reply texts that he said he had sent several minutes earlier while I was experiencing the problem  (my phone is Samsung InFuse with GINGERBREAD.UCLB3 build).

Never seen this before in my 1-1/2 years on AT&T.

Any thoughts?  Phone issue?  Network issue?

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

I'd say it's a network issue..only because many customers have experienced multiple text messages, spordically..myself included. If you serach the forum, you'll find many post about mutiple text messages.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

can they do anything about it??

bc it is really annoying......

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I am also receiving texts repeatedly, although it has not stopped even though I recycle and reboot my phone regularly. The time gap between the repeats is approximately 1/2 hour. I can usually stop a particular run of repeats by recycling power, but it doesn't stop the problem. At least once a day, for the last 2+ months, I will get a text that will repeat every 30 minutes. I've had some repeat only 4 times; many will repeat endlessly until I recycle power. I have checked with others who have this phone with AT&T, and others who have AT&T but other phones. Quite a few people have this happening on a regular basis. I've made one (very long and unsatisfying) call to customer service, who told me it was because I was using the AT&T Messaging app without having disabled the base texting app. That wasn't true. I was no longer using the AT&T app, I had uninstalled the updates and disabled it several weeks before and was only using the base app. I recently started using another app to see if it made a difference, and it did not change. 

I use my phone constantly, and this is really interfering. On the days when I'm getting quite a few text messages, the annoyance is multiplied greatly.

I am using a Motorola Atrix HD. 

I have done all sorts of cleaning, dumping, etc., on the phone, uninstalling and reinstalling updates and apps that could interfere. Nothing has changed.

Paula

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@ppopper wrote:

I am also receiving texts repeatedly, although it has not stopped even though I recycle and reboot my phone regularly. The time gap between the repeats is approximately 1/2 hour. I can usually stop a particular run of repeats by recycling power, but it doesn't stop the problem. At least once a day, for the last 2+ months, I will get a text that will repeat every 30 minutes. I've had some repeat only 4 times; many will repeat endlessly until I recycle power. I have checked with others who have this phone with AT&T, and others who have AT&T but other phones. Quite a few people have this happening on a regular basis. I've made one (very long and unsatisfying) call to customer service, who told me it was because I was using the AT&T Messaging app without having disabled the base texting app. That wasn't true. I was no longer using the AT&T app, I had uninstalled the updates and disabled it several weeks before and was only using the base app. I recently started using another app to see if it made a difference, and it did not change. 

I use my phone constantly, and this is really interfering. On the days when I'm getting quite a few text messages, the annoyance is multiplied greatly.

I am using a Motorola Atrix HD. 

I have done all sorts of cleaning, dumping, etc., on the phone, uninstalling and reinstalling updates and apps that could interfere. Nothing has changed.

Paula

The problem could be with your phone and possibly a new SIM card might fix the issue. Whatever the actual cause, repeated texts indicates an issue with connectivity between your phone and the network. Text messages are delivered to your phone by a component known as the short message service center (SMSC). If the recipient is unavailable (for example, when the mobile phone is switched off), the SMSC will store the SMS message and resend it when the phone is available. The repeated texts indicates the SMSC "thinks" the message has not been delivered, so it resends. This is one reason why turning the phone off and on tends to fix the problem, at least for awhile, because the phone refreshes its connection to the network.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Same here. I have an HTC Vivid, have had it for 2 years. I sometimes receive the same text a couple times, not a big deal, but since last night I've received the same text approx 50 times (no hyperbole). It was sent at 732 pm pdt, and it's always the same time stamp.

I then messaged that person on a messaging app and he said he had been sending me other texts that I do not receive, but my texts are going out.

I have rebooted, taken the battery out, taken the sim card out, deleted his contact information, deleted ALL of my texts (even saved ones), he rebooted (he's on an iPhone) - but I'm still receiving the same message a couple times an hour.

What else can I try? I depend on texting for the bulk of my communication so it's very hard to not have access to it.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

How do I go about getting a new SIM card, then? I have spoken to AT&T repeatedly and I cannot get anyone there to suggest that possibility or to agree that it could be the issue. They keep saying it is because I have a conflicting app. The thing is, I started having these problems long before I got another app for text messages. And I do know how to turn off defaults, etc. Should I take this to Motorola? 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

This happens to me too on occasion. I don't think it's specific to the phone because I have a Samsung & several other phone types are listed in these responses. I tried AT&T's advice of removing the battery & clearing the cache, & it didn't help. When this happened last year, it went on for several days & then mysteriously stopped. It seems to repeat one message until the next somehow comes through (delayed by several hours), then that one repeats. I'm putting my money on it being an AT&T problem. I clicked to airplane mode off then on to disconnect/reconnect that way with no help. BTW, when I went to clear my text cache per AT&T's advice, there was nothing in it.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I also have repeat text issue. started January , happened every 3 weeks, call to service got no results , there are nice,  but gave diff answers and no solution , base on the chat, this happened since 2013, and i did not see any solution to this in any posting. Maybe other carrier did not have this problem.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Same problem. Except that it will send the message to me and sender every 30 min. Is annoying and data consuming. Went to the store. Delete contact. Reset phone. Still keep the message back. It has been 3 days like that.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

This isn't an AT&T issue, it seems to be an Android issue.  I've seen many discussions saying that it's happening with all different carriers on all different Android phones.  Ten more months until I'm eligible for an upgrade and I'm going back to the iPhone.  I can't wait!  Android -- never again!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.