For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
Jdickied's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, July 17th, 2018 7:05 PM

Receiving one long text message that shows multiple on data usage

When I receive a long text message on my iPhone 8 from a non iPhone and a different carrier, it is received as one , but shows multiple on my data usage ?

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

6 years ago

some phones and carriers only allow texts to be certain number of charactors, when my sister on tmobile sends me a super long text it sends from her phone as 2,3 and sometimes 4 texts but arrives as 1 on my iphone but im not sure why texts would use any data

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

It’s not using the data, it’s just showing multiple texts from the number when I’m only receiving one. Basically my girl thinks I erased texts when I didn’t because it shows multiple on our AT&T plan. Im trying to prove to her that I’m not lying , which I’m not 

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

6 years ago

AH show her this thread this is how it works and is normal

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you very much!!

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@Constructive It’s not just some carriers, it’s all carriers. The SMS protocol has a 160 character limit. Phones are just smart enough now to break them up and reassemble automatically so it looks like one long message. Anyone still using an old dumb phone can only send 160 characters at a time and if they receive a multi-part message, they receive them individually.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.