Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Pixel 3 losing data connection after disconnecting from WiFI

Pixel 3 losing data connection after disconnecting from WiFI

I and others are having an issue with cellular data connectivity when disconnecting from a WiFi access point.  After disconnecting, I am still connected to the AT&T network, but do not have access to data.  I see that I am connected to the LTE network, but there is an X through the icon.  The only way to fix this is to restart the phone, or toggle airplane mode.  It doesn't happen every time I disconnect from WiFi. I spoke with Google and they said to talk to AT&T.

Message 1 of 32
ACE - Sage

Re: Pixel 3 losing data connection after disconnecting from WiFI

@pgrey

The pixel 3/3 xl is the singular non At&t android phone that has been allowed Wifi calling.  I assume Google/Alphabet hammered away at At&t.   I bought 2.  One for me is still on Verizon till next month.  My son is on At&t.   Looks like they were hardly used.  The one I bought for my son was an iPhone user who got curious, but hated the android platform.  $695 128 gig phone and $79 stand - mint.  What a deal.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 32
ACE - Professor

@willwhitworth I really think this is WiFi calling-related, in fact I'm almost certain of it. But, there's no great way to tell, that I know of, except using a debug mode module, or ADB.

Did you set the "calling preference" that @lizdance40 mentioned, to "LTE Preferred"?  It should work, in either mode, but using LTE as the primary may prevent the phone from getting "stuck" on the Voice/Text-over-WiFi "mode".

There's a tool that I use, when I want to check my LTE towers nearby and signal and such, that *might* help here, called "Network Cell Info Lite".  It will show which tower(s) you're on (you have to get the paid version to show more than 1 + secondary, but the free one works fine for most applications like this), and when a transition happens, from VoWiFi to VoLTE, it has a full page of nothing but those stats, the "Device + SIM" page, specifically.  While not exactly a "debug tool", it should show your transition, between the two.

It WILL drain your battery like crazy though, if you leave it running in the background, indefinitely, but the dev has handily put in a switch (power-symbol at top) to turn this off, when you're not using it.

Now I really wonder, how/why @lizdance40 has a working provision, with her phone, and the rest of you don't. I agree, it's coming close to the "at a loss" category, without using something like ADB, to track the transitions (a whole different can of worms), I'm hoping that the above tool will yield some useful data, at the least you should see the phone "trying to move to VoLTE", and failing.

The tool might show that the LTE signal isn't sufficient when the WiFi signal falls-off, which would explain a call dropping, at that point, but then it should "recover", and move to data from LTE (not the LTE with an "x").

I'm betting that AT&T has a bug in their server-side hand-off here, where it *should* be transitioning off your WiFi (as you leave your home or whatever), and still searching for another WiFi signal to "latch onto", but it should also be moving to LTE as a "backup", in the meantime, all without the user ever knowing about the various transitions.

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 32
ACE - Sage

That app uses a lot of data too.  But it does provide information.  Take screen shots on all tabs then shut is down to analyze.  

I have 2 used phones, no problem,  I don’t think it’s a carrier problem.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 18 of 32
ACE - Professor

Curious to see what the app yields.

Also curious to see what everyone has their default on the SIM set to for calls (also applies to SMS/MMS), "WiFi preferred" or "LTE Preferred".

I just had a thought, too, do all of you have your SIM "Data Roaming" set to "On"?  If not, this can be an issue, given that AT&T often uses "rented bandwidth", from other carriers, to bridge areas of low/no coverage.  This is pretty much transparent to the user; I wish they'd have some sort of explanation on that switch, about "domestic roaming".

Really, if you're in North America, there's no reason to have roaming set to "Off", except for a few of the older plans, where "straying" into towers in Canada and Mexico might cost you some roaming data charges.  

All the Unlimited, some of the per-Gig plans, and all the prePaid plans all support what's essentially "free roaming", in both CA and MX.

If you have an old plan, that's not inclusive of NA roaming, there are some "tricks" to getting it added to your account, usually at no charge, we can point you off to some other threads there, several of us have "guided" people through this previously...

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Message 19 of 32
Contributor

Here is everything I've tried so far without success in order with testing done in between:

1. New SIM

2. AT&T support re-provisioned my device on the network

3. Reset android network settings to default

4. Tried manually configured NXTGENPHONE APN

5. Turned off WiFi Calling (there is no toggle here for preferring mobile over WiFi, its set to Mobile by default)

6. Turned off "Enhanced 4G LTE Mode" (VoLTE)

7. Factory reset

Just for reference, I don't have any dropped calls issues, call quality issues, or problems with LTE when its working. Also, I would agree that its not just when I'm disconnecting from wifi, but that's when I tend to notice it as I no longer am getting emails or other notifications that rely on the internet. I guess next step would be to run the app you mentioned above or use ADB when its stuck without LTE.

Message 20 of 32

Did anyone get a chance to run that app or use ADB to see if they can pinpoint the issue? I thought it had fixed itself with the Feb security patch but it started up again over the weekend.  There's no rhyme or reason to when it will happen either.  Airplane mode still fixes it however.  Just annoying.

Message 21 of 32
Tutor

I have the same issue. It does happen at wifi disconnection. It doesn't seem to do this when booted into safe mode. It's definitely a problem with handing back off to LTE from wifi.

Message 22 of 32
Tutor

And this started happening around December for me. 

Message 23 of 32

Just tried chatting with Google about this but all they could come up with was to perform a factory reset.  I told them others had already done this and it didn't fix it.  They then told me to do a factory reset... It's becoming very frustrating that I sometimes miss out on MMS or don't realize my phone is not connected to data when leaving my house.

Message 24 of 32
Tutor

Jumping in on this thread. I have the same issue but only when leaving my house. Wondering if everyone having this issue has AT&T internet service at home. I have as well tried all the things mentioned here with no success. 

Message 25 of 32
Tutor

If you have enabled developer mode on your phone go back and turn off
everything you changed in dev mode. Specifically anything to do with
cellular or wifi.
Restart after.
Message 26 of 32
Tutor

Wow, that sure seems like what could be causing it! Thanks. I'll make sure I post that it resolved the issue.

Message 27 of 32

So mine is finally fixed! I had to talk with AT&T and they said that they had the wrong IMEI on file.  I also had to redo my APN settings.  They sent me to the URL below.

https://apn.gishan.net/en/apn/att/google-pixel-3 

The APN settings also fixed 2 other Pixel 3's we have on my account. I haven't had the issue in almost 2 weeks.  Sorry for not updating!

Message 28 of 32
Highlighted
Tutor

This was what actually fixed my phone. I don't think the labeled solution in this thread is entirely true. 

If you have enabled developer mode on your phone go back and turn off
everything you changed in dev mode. Specifically anything to do with
cellular or wifi.
Restart after.

Message 29 of 32
Contributor

Thank you,  I was able to get my Sim card working only after I turn the Wifi-calling OFF .   The difficult/crappy setup is that in order to turn off that setting you need to have the Pixel 3 XL read your SIM Card.  I was able to accomplish this by connecting my home wifi, then restart the phone at that time it  was able to read the SIM card.   Under Settings-> Network & internet -> Mobile Network -> click advanced to see the rest of the options -> under Calling "Wi-fi calling" make sure its off.

I know this is the issue since I tested by doing the following, the minute I dropped from wi-fi, the phone read "No Sim Card", I had to turn my wi-fi back on and then restarted the phone "Pixel 3 XL" so it could read the SIM card.  

Message 30 of 32
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support