Need your talk or text logs?
stpark6985's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Tuesday, January 8th, 2019 4:32 PM

Pixel 3 losing data connection after disconnecting from WiFI

I and others are having an issue with cellular data connectivity when disconnecting from a WiFi access point.  After disconnecting, I am still connected to the AT&T network, but do not have access to data.  I see that I am connected to the LTE network, but there is an X through the icon.  The only way to fix this is to restart the phone, or toggle airplane mode.  It doesn't happen every time I disconnect from WiFi. I spoke with Google and they said to talk to AT&T.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

I am having the exact same issue on a Pixel 3 XL. I was told by ATT support to get a new SIM and that would resolve the issue. I did that yesterday and the issue still persists.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

This is what Google had told me to do.  I haven't made it to an AT&T store yet, but now it sounds like it won't make a difference.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Still no luck here, I got ahold of an ATT tech support rep and he "reset my network connection from his side". The issue was not occurring at the time, but as soon as I got back home today it started up again. Next step he recommended is a factory reset on the device. Which ill do then wait for it to happen again.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

I'm having the exact same issue. Just about every time I leave my house and get out of range of my home WiFi, I notice the x on the LTE icon. I have to restart my phone to get the data to work.

I've reset the Android network settings, verified that AT&T has the correct IMEI listed on their end, and even performed a full factory reset. I'm still experiencing the problem.

Super frustrating!

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@willwhitworth@stpark6985@mlak350 I'd start by verifying the APN settings, just to make sure you're not on an old "set".  If something were amiss on your devices, initially, the same APN settings with "an issue" could get auto-provisioned, repeatedly, despite the factory reset even.

For most Android devices, the NXTGENPHONE APN works well, but the Pixel 3 is a bit "special" (possibly, not sure how they enable VoLTE on that phone), so I'm looping in @lizdance40, whom I'm pretty sure has a working setup already.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

I just checked and I'm using the ATT Nextgenphone APN. I'm interested to hear if there's a better option for the Pixel 3.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

I am also on ATT NXTGENPHONE APN.  I did find the URL below that specifies how to add a new APN and I do have minor differences in my current APN Profile.

https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1062162/

My APN type is slightly different in that it also has fota at the end of the string. Also my APN protocol is set to IPv4/IPv6 and the recommended is IPv4 only.  

Should we be creating a new APN  profile with the settings recommended in the URL above?

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@pgrey

Tag I’m it.

I wish I had something to add, but I’m not having a problem.  

I did not adjust APN.  You can reset to default and see if that helps.  

Make sure your ‘prefffered network type’ is set correctly. Global or LTE/gsm/UTMS.

Do you have wifi calling on?   Are you set to default to Wifi for calls or mobile preferred?  (Handy setting).  I default to ‘mobile’  and have no problems.  I’m usually turning DTV Now on as soon as I leave home, so data is definitely working.   

How is coverage outside your home?   Will your phone ever reconnect on its own?   

My gut instinct is a faulty phone and get Google to replace as you are under warranty.  This is not normal.  While Google makes a high quality product, there have been a few complaints.  

We now have 2 pixel 3 xl in the house, and are impressed with everything about the phone.

Calls are extremely clear, which I almost never experience anymore.  

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

Thanks @lizdance40, that's a good point, I completely forgot about the "preferred calling method", I wouldn't be surprised if that's the ticket.

@stpark6985 In terms of the APN and the "fota" setting, that just allows the phone to do "minor" firmware updates OverTheAir, instead of waiting for WiFi, things like AV security packages and such.

The IPv4 vs IPv4/IPv6 shouldn't be an issue, either.  If the network isn't doling out IPv6, it *should* just default back to IPv4.  

I doubt that either of these APN settings is the issue, but I'm more interested to see what the calling method change does, presuming yours says "WiFi preferred".

@lizdance40 So is WiFi calling working now, on your Pixel3?  This is weird, I had thought they were only provisioning for VoLTE, but this thread seems to imply that they're allowing both?

What @lizdance40 says about the Pixel phones being super-smooth on the WiFi-LTE (3G, 4G, whatever) transition, my old 6P handled that with zero issues, because it was designed similarly, for the Fi network, which relies HEAVILY on using WiFi connections for most of it's data, and is known for absolute smooth transitions between them.

@stpark6985@willwhitworth@mlak350, Does calling work, if you're connected to WiFi-only?  The easiest way to test this, is to turn on AirplaneMode, and then turn WiFi (only) back on, and try to make a call.

This sort of skipped my mind last night, I was just thinking that we were seeing a "WiFi-LTE calling transition issue" here, but really the phone isn't supposed to be allowed to make calls at all, over WiFi, so I'm a bit befuddled, and very curious now ;-]

I guess everyone (here) could have a faulty phone, but it seems odd, I more suspect it's a setting issue, or an AT&T issue, but that all ties back into the question about WiFi calling even working...

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

I haven't activated WiFi calling on my phone yet as I haven't had a need.  I did activate it on my wife's Pixel 3 however.  We both continue to experience the same issues however.  I don't know if disconnecting from WiFi is the cause of the issue as I've also seen it happen while connected to WiFi.  I've been at home and connected to WiFi and tried to send an MMS, but was unable to.  If I turn WiFi off I will see my LTE connected but with an X through it which indicates no data connection.  I can then turn airplane mode on and off and it will resolve again.  Not sure what it is but its very frustrating.  More so when it happens when I'm on a WiFi network because then I can't see it happening until I try to send an MMS.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.