Need your talk or text logs?
Bennyj's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, March 17th, 2017 1:07 PM

Personal hot spots and data usage

My son was using his personal hot spot to watch shows and movies.  We received notice from Att that our data usage was up to 90% of allowed data on our plan.  How does this happen?  I thought connecting to a hot spot didn't use your data, especially if there is a wifi connection.  

He does this every few months and the last few times it did not use data like it did this time.  I'm confused as to how a hot spot actually works.  Any information would be helpful.

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Personal hotspot means using your phone's cellular internet connection from another device. That other device connects to the phone via wifi but then uses the phone's cellular data.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

7 years ago

Hotspot = cellular data

Wi-Fi = Internet Provider

If he was connected to Wi-FI, he would have not almost reached his data limit. 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Ok, I get it now.  Thanks for the breakdown.  

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Sandblaster, I am an 81 year old rookie who has PC, 2 phones, and an HP wireless printer. On the advice of an "expert" I than got the hot spot to tie everything together, works great. BUT doing basically the same things we now get a notice from AT&T almost monthly that we have exceeded our alotted data, we are now at 16Gig per month and we still are bumping our limits.  Now they are saying get rid of the hot spot and use the 2 phones as the hot spot, others have said "bad idea". Any help we be deeply appreciated, we don't even know who is on first.

Thanks in advance for any insight you might provide...

dakeener 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.