Need your talk or text logs?
TheBillPayer's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, April 29th, 2017 9:33 PM

Permanently disable data usage statistics

I view this as an invasion of privacy. Apart from moving to a different provider how do I stop this data being collected?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

I guess you'll be moving to a dfferent carrier then but don't expect any different from any other carrier. Whether you turn the advanced stats on or not is up to you but I'm pretty sure ATT will continue to collect them. I don't think there was is any way to stop that.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

7 years ago

If they disable the data usage statistics, then they won't know if you've gone over your data allowance if you don't have the unlimited plan (for example).

They don't monitor your internet activity, just the amount of data.

For example, if ATT is a power/electric company, they don't monitor what you watch on your TV. 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Maybe I've used the wrong term for the feature I've just been introduced to. I'm talking about the breakdown of x% sport, y% social media, etc

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

I knew what you were talking about. It's called "usage breakdown" and it is off unless you turn it on. I had to specifically  "opt in" to turn it on. If you haven't turned it on, I wouldn't worry. Or are you asking how to turn it off after it's been turned on? I seriously wouldn't worry about this. The usage breakdown I've seen for my own doesn't really tell me anything, plus I don't think it's even accurate.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@curiouscat wrote:

If they disable the data usage statistics, then they won't know if you've gone over your data allowance if you don't have the unlimited plan (for example).

They don't monitor your internet activity, just the amount of data.

For example, if ATT is a power/electric company, they don't monitor what you watch on your TV. 

@curiouscat Have you see these "charts" on-line in your account?

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 10.47.22 PM.png

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@TheBillPayer You don't have this option to turn it off??

Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 10.34.36 PM.png

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Sandblaster or Garylapointe, could you provide any examples to what the categories are? For instance, what is considered "Technology" or "Social" or "other"? I've searched ATT for details on what these terms mean or what they "group" into these categories, but I cannot find anything. Thank you in advance.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Tidoublegrr wrote:

Sandblaster or Garylapointe, could you provide any examples to what the categories are? For instance, what is considered "Technology" or "Social" or "other"? I've searched ATT for details on what these terms mean or what they "group" into these categories, but I cannot find anything. Thank you in advance.

There is no list that I'm aware of, I'm sure there is NOT solid rules that can (or will) be shared. It would be 1 billion lines long, one line for each site...

For example, where would a K-12 technology education article go? 

It's all going to tie into how a site is categorized and the stats aren't going to be very useful when "other" is larger than the rest.

Imagine in the education category that you have subcategories:

• K-12 - 20%
  • Adult - 10% 
  • Other - 70%

While it looks like it's double for K-12, obviously some of the 70% is K-12 or Adult, so it could really be 4 times the amount for adult if they don't categorize those sites good enough.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

I also don't know what usage goes in what category but in most cases, I think it's pretty easy to guess. Facebook, Snapchat, twitter, etc would all be social. CNET, PCMag, PCWorld, etc would be technology.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@sandblaster I work in education and schools run filters and I'm always shocked at how many technology support sites are blocked because they are categorized as social or as blogs (which some clearly are blog software but it's all geeky tech content).

So the categories really needs to be taken with a grain of salt...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.