Need your talk or text logs?
SheilaTea's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, April 20th, 2015 7:17 PM

Pay per use text messaging while traveling internationally

I am traveling to Europe and want to be able to send and receive text messages. I do not want to receive phone calls. I will have wifi where I stay, so do not need a data package.

I have read I can receive text messages for free, and pay $.50 when I send a text message. That is fine with me, I will not need to purchase the passport package.

I have an iphone 6 and hubby has iphone 6plus. What settings do we need to make to ensure we can receive text at anytime (not just wifi)?

If I read it right, we can do this if we enable data roaming. How can we make sure we only get texts and do not have applications or anything that uses a data plan use our data?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

9 years ago

You do not need to enable data roaming to send/receive texts, in fact you want to ensure data roaming is off or you will incur major data charges because your phones will use data if data roaming is enabled. The only thing you need to do to be able to send/receive texts is be connected to cell service. Unfortunately, that means your phone is also available to receive calls. The only way to not receive calls is to be in airplane mode, which also means no texting. Of course when on wifi, you will still be able to send/receive iMessages.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 years ago

You might wnt to talk to a global plan service person for all the details.
So far, this is what I know:
1. If you don't turn off data at the account level (call customer service) you may still incur data charges. In a perfect situation, turning off mobile data and preventing data while roaming SHOULD work, but the repercussions if it doesn't can be hundreds of dollars.

2. If you are in another country, your are texting while roaming, so you need a global package to reduce the cost.

3. The same package that covers Text, reduces call charges. Since you are charged by minute, just allow all calls to go to voicemail. You may still incur minimal charge for each call.

Please verify my little bit of experience with customer service. Ask lots of questions about incoming calls etc.
enjoy your trip!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

So I’m on At&T’s unlimited plan and I was wondering if you can call and txt for free from America to Canada using cellular? If there is a charge, can I be on WiFi in order for it to be free?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

I assume you mean the currently offered unlimited plans.  Yes.  All current plans allow calling to and in Canada and Mexico without additional charges.

Older plans may not.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Ok, thanks
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.