Need your talk or text logs?
olmie75's profile

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

Friday, February 10th, 2017 10:18 PM

No way to backup & restore text messages with AT&T "advanced" messages?

My Samsung S7 was defective, and AT&T sent me a replacement. In the process of transfering all of my content over from my old device to the replacement device (another S7, initally using SmartSwitch), I noticed that very few of my outgoing texts had transferred over. I also tried MyBackup, Carbonite, Helium, AT&T Mobile Setup, MobileTrans ... and kept getting the same result. Upon further investigation, it turns out that the message that would not transfer wer "advanced" messages - a new format that AT&T has started migrating to (but can be disabled). None of the backup softwares on the market work with this format, and the new format has very limited value (with very few users, I see message receipts - that's all I 've noticed different). However, not being able to backup and restore my texts is a major problem for me. I frequently reference past texts, and I've worked hard to keep my full archive through backups and transfers for years. AT&T makes this change, doesn't inform us of the implications, now I'm stuck about to lost important data. I've spent hours with AT&T support in chats, on the phone, in the store, and nobody can help me. This feels completely unacceptable.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

Just to follow up, I tried several SMS back up programs to back up my ATT phone (typically to google drive) and restore on another (non ATT) phone.  Results are disappointing as advanced content is lost.    Most apps say they will not work with advanced messaging.  

You can turn off advanced messages to avoid this in the future, but it won’t save existing text.  I found I get one half of conversations.  

Back up and sync with ATT messages works perfectly, between ATT branded phones.    I knew when ATT dropped the android app it was a move to exclude non carrier phones so we would buy theirs.  Annoying.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

This issue is on going. I know that Advanced messages are stored in a different database on your phone, separate from SMS and MMS. But, this was an update that was pushed out a long time ago, not just by AT&T, and not just by Samsung. Developers should have created a resolution already!!!

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

6 years ago

AT&T is the only company that has it's version of Advanced Messaging. The other companies all have their version of Advanced Messaging. Saying that AT&T can be complacent because all or any other company can be is just plain bad business.

The negatives of Advanced Messaging far outweigh any positives. That is why nothing is ever said about ANY negative. That would cause folks to be curious and actually check out what they have to give up to use the so called Advanced Messaging.

This would never have been a huge problem had they not activated it by default in one or more of their updates. This caused issues which I believe could put them in the sights of several lawsuits. The monetary cost to some folks is far greater than any phone or service.

No third party app is going to step off in support of any off-the-wall messaging service until a standard is developed.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

@Shuffles

AT&T messages back up and sync has always saved all my messages and I can access all but 2 factor authentication on a second device.  I recently upgraded from a Samsung GS8 to a GS9 and all my advanced messages were synced fine. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I use SMS Backup+ from the Android Play Store. It used to be called SMS Backup and Restore and had an additional program you had to download to transfer the xml file. It backs up straight to Google or another IMAP site of your choosing now. From there, you can restore the messages to the same or a different device, print them, or whatever else. This app is free. Idk if they have the same, or a comparable version, for iPhone but just read your question and hope I could help. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

@kitkat77

It will not backup advanced messages.  Unfortunately it’s the catch with the advanced features.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I tried to overcome this issue and tried all the options. Please follow reddit for RCS messaging features and updates on backup and restore. For now if you need to extract the advanced messaging and print it (no way to restore them though) use the app "Legal text collector" its the only app on market which can extract messages including RCS/Advanced messaging. Hope this helps.

• 

25.7K Messages

5 years ago

I'm having the same issue transferring advanced messaged from an unlocked Galaxy S6 to an unlocked iPhone XR. Is there a solution? I can access the advanced messages from AT&T Backup and Sync. Can they be restored on my new phone?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Anonymous.  If you use At&t messages back up and sync, it will sync messages once your new phone has an active SIM card with your number.  It may not include all content.  

At&t really needs to improve this At&t messages.  The Messages+ app Verizon has kicks butt.  At&t’s Isn’t and app asnd it’s a pretty sorry excuse by comparison. 

86097593-65E2-4B23-95DD-E8EE75346C3A.jpeg

1 Attachment

• 

25.7K Messages

5 years ago

@lizdance40. I don't understand what you mean when you say "use AT&T Messages Backup and Sync." There is no AT&T Messages app for iPhone that I'm aware of. I've tried, unsuccessfully, using the following apps:

- Move to iOS
- AT&T Mobile Transfer
- SMS Backup+
- SMS Backup & Restore
- MobileTrans
- Google Messages

I can view messages from the last 90 days online using a browser at messages.att.net via AT&T Messages Backup and Sync, but I see no option to restore those messages to my new phone.

I'm in the same boat as others in this thread who never opted into using Advanced Messages and was switched to this format unknowingly. I've now lost my history of texts, some of which were with loved ones who are no longer living. This is very disappointing.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.