Explore & discover

Helpful Links

No way to backup & restore text messages with AT&T "advanced" messages?

Teacher

No way to backup & restore text messages with AT&T "advanced" messages?

My Samsung S7 was defective, and AT&T sent me a replacement. In the process of transfering all of my content over from my old device to the replacement device (another S7, initally using SmartSwitch), I noticed that very few of my outgoing texts had transferred over. I also tried MyBackup, Carbonite, Helium, AT&T Mobile Setup, MobileTrans ... and kept getting the same result. Upon further investigation, it turns out that the message that would not transfer wer "advanced" messages - a new format that AT&T has started migrating to (but can be disabled). None of the backup softwares on the market work with this format, and the new format has very limited value (with very few users, I see message receipts - that's all I 've noticed different). However, not being able to backup and restore my texts is a major problem for me. I frequently reference past texts, and I've worked hard to keep my full archive through backups and transfers for years. AT&T makes this change, doesn't inform us of the implications, now I'm stuck about to lost important data. I've spent hours with AT&T support in chats, on the phone, in the store, and nobody can help me. This feels completely unacceptable.

Message 1 of 35
Tutor

Re: No way to backup

@lizdance40

Sure, but how about to an unlocked GS9? I ask because I went from an AT&T branded GS7 to an unlocked GS9. Ahh, there's the caveat. Advanced Messaging is broken, period.

Message 16 of 35
Highlighted
ACE - Sage

@term525

You are no longer are using ATT messages, and can’t sync or restore to a new device unless it also has ATT messages.  This isn’t “advanced messaging broken “.  You can’t use the back up (advanced or not) unless you have a branded phone.  Your only option is to backup and restore with smartswitch.   

OR

use one of the many alternate apps which also back up.  Messenger for SMS by SMS & MMS Team does backups.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 35
Tutor

@lizdance40

This is also false. I used the Samsung Messages app on my GS7 which has the "Advanced Messaging" option built in by the AT&T firmware, never touched the AT&T Messaging app. The "Advanced Messaging" option was turned on automatically without my consent in the Samsung Messages app itself by AT&T after an update. I used SmartSwitch to move all of my texts over to my unlocked GS9 and lo-and-behold, the "Advanced Messaging" messages were not transferred over and cannot be transferred over because "Advanced Messaging" is not standard and truly broken because no other service besides AT&T firmware can access the messages themselves. This not only includes the messages that I sent (since Advanced Messaging was turned on), but any AT&T customers messages to me. It really is broken.

I've tried other apps and they also do not support AT&T's proprietary advanced messaging, they simply cannot back up those messages. To test that theory, download the Android Messages app on the same device that you're using now. It does not detect the Advanced Messages, but picks up the SMS and MMS messages fine, which proves that it's proprietary and broken. It appears in those apps as a one way conversation if their text was sent via SMS/MMS, just like SmartSwitch did with my unlocked Galaxy S9. Really tired of the misinformation here about this, it really doesn't do any good. I wish you would try it yourself and see that it really is broken and doesn't work.

Message 18 of 35
ACE - Sage

@term525  If you used the built in message app on an ATT Samsung, you are using ATT messages, with advanced messaging (not Samsung).  Yes, enabled by default.  

I had no problem transferring from ATT device to ATT device.   Intact.  

On an unlocked device you are using Samsung stock app.  

They are two different programs

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 35
Tutor

@lizdance40

Understandable, but that is still not a solution - I want to transfer my messages to my new, unlocked device and I cannot do that, and that's unacceptable. It makes sense that Advanced Messaging is AT&T because yes, it's all based on the carrier, same with the stock Messages app that is included with the AT&T branded Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. But again, these are my text messages, not AT&T's. If I want to transfer all of my messages to an unlocked device, I should be able to do that. Keep in mind, these are ALL of my sent messages to everyone, regardless if they're an AT&T customer that supports "Advanced Messaging".

The other point is, why am I sending "Advanced Messages" to non-AT&T customers? They can't use them anyway. I am owed a solution for this, just like the people prior in this thread. I know you're not affiliated with AT&T but this problem is unacceptable, should be no apologies on their end. Just a fix, because yes, it is a problem, and it is broken.

Message 20 of 35
Tutor

I have this exact same issue! When I moved between AT&T Samsung devices this was never an issue (S7 to S8), since likely both devices could read the proprietary AT&T RCS format. We are now moving from AT&T Galaxy S8 and S8+ devices to Verizon S9 devices and cannot get these advanced messages devices off our old AT&T phones, or at least be readable on the S9's. It's like a blackhole of information. I would have disabled this feature a long time ago had I known it would ruin all our text messages. I haven't found any apps that will transfer them to a new phone and make the readable in the stock messaging app, only ones that will archive to PDF / HTML / etc. In case it helps someone else, they are below. This is the best I've found after hours of wasted time...

1) SMS Share 2 - Supports RCS and Advanced Messaging - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gilapps.smsshare2

2) Legal Text Collector - Advanced messages are supported on AT&T - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.legaltextcollector

Message 21 of 35
ACE - Sage

Just to follow up, I tried several SMS back up programs to back up my ATT phone (typically to google drive) and restore on another (non ATT) phone.  Results are disappointing as advanced content is lost.    Most apps say they will not work with advanced messaging.  

You can turn off advanced messages to avoid this in the future, but it won’t save existing text.  I found I get one half of conversations.  

Back up and sync with ATT messages works perfectly, between ATT branded phones.    I knew when ATT dropped the android app it was a move to exclude non carrier phones so we would buy theirs.  Annoying.  

Message 22 of 35
Contributor

This issue is on going. I know that Advanced messages are stored in a different database on your phone, separate from SMS and MMS. But, this was an update that was pushed out a long time ago, not just by AT&T, and not just by Samsung. Developers should have created a resolution already!!!

Message 23 of 35
Teacher

AT&T is the only company that has it's version of Advanced Messaging. The other companies all have their version of Advanced Messaging. Saying that AT&T can be complacent because all or any other company can be is just plain bad business.

The negatives of Advanced Messaging far outweigh any positives. That is why nothing is ever said about ANY negative. That would cause folks to be curious and actually check out what they have to give up to use the so called Advanced Messaging.

This would never have been a huge problem had they not activated it by default in one or more of their updates. This caused issues which I believe could put them in the sights of several lawsuits. The monetary cost to some folks is far greater than any phone or service.

No third party app is going to step off in support of any off-the-wall messaging service until a standard is developed.

Message 24 of 35
ACE - Sage

@Shuffles

AT&T messages back up and sync has always saved all my messages and I can access all but 2 factor authentication on a second device.  I recently upgraded from a Samsung GS8 to a GS9 and all my advanced messages were synced fine. 

Message 25 of 35
Contributor

I use SMS Backup+ from the Android Play Store. It used to be called SMS Backup and Restore and had an additional program you had to download to transfer the xml file. It backs up straight to Google or another IMAP site of your choosing now. From there, you can restore the messages to the same or a different device, print them, or whatever else. This app is free. Idk if they have the same, or a comparable version, for iPhone but just read your question and hope I could help. 

Message 26 of 35
ACE - Sage

@kitkat77

It will not backup advanced messages.  Unfortunately it’s the catch with the advanced features.  

Message 27 of 35
Contributor

I tried to overcome this issue and tried all the options. Please follow reddit for RCS messaging features and updates on backup and restore. For now if you need to extract the advanced messaging and print it (no way to restore them though) use the app "Legal text collector" its the only app on market which can extract messages including RCS/Advanced messaging. Hope this helps.

Message 28 of 35
Contributor

I'm having the same issue transferring advanced messaged from an unlocked Galaxy S6 to an unlocked iPhone XR. Is there a solution? I can access the advanced messages from AT&T Backup and Sync. Can they be restored on my new phone?

Message 29 of 35
ACE - Sage

@justin7.  If you use At&t messages back up and sync, it will sync messages once your new phone has an active SIM card with your number.  It may not include all content.  

At&t really needs to improve this At&t messages.  The Messages+ app Verizon has kicks butt.  At&t’s Isn’t and app asnd it’s a pretty sorry excuse by comparison. 

86097593-65E2-4B23-95DD-E8EE75346C3A.jpeg

Message 30 of 35
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support