For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
mike2854's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Wednesday, October 31st, 2012 1:48 PM

New to SmartPhones - What counts as data usage?

I got the iPhone 4S recently, so some of these questions may some dumb.  This is my first smart phone ever.

Does being on wi-fi (for example, at home) constitute as data usage? 

Does updating existing apps count as data usage?

Does checking FB via the app count as data usage? 

Does downloading g-mail count toward data usage?

I am nearly at my 3 GB limit 13 days into the billing cycle.  It seemed way off to me. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I have the Unlimited Messaging service. When I am connected to 3G, it will send texts as an "iMessage." Does this consume data? Or is it still classified as "Unlimited"?

Scholar

• 

190 Messages

11 years ago

@AKPorcupine wrote:
I have the Unlimited Messaging service. When I am connected to 3G, it will send texts as an "iMessage." Does this consume data? Or is it still classified as "Unlimited"?

iMessage is an iOS feature and uses data to connect to Apple's servers.

Your unlimited messaging plan only covers messages sent through AT&T's service and the latter is not counted as data.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

ranron nailed it!

You don't have to use iMessages if you don't want to use that data. To turn iMessages off, Tap Settings>Messages and slide the dot from on to off. 

iMessages are blue, regular texts are green. That's an easy way to tell them apart. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

First let me say I love the entire concept of using my home/work wifi to save on data usage, especially since this is a company phone. I have the Samsung Rugby Pro, which comes with a nifty app that show data usage; both mobile & wifi. Personally, I love this phone and play with it at home all the time.

Athough I don't believe my company has been charged for my wi/fi data usage, data usage warning emails are being sent to my company showing my TOTAL data, instead of my mobile usage. Although I showed my boss my data usage of 977mb was actually 922mb wi/fi & only 55mb mobile, the emails warnings and the fact that this is my first smart phone make him question the whole thing.

Is there a possibility of a flaw in the auto-email program or a need for an update? Any help/info would be great.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.