New to SmartPhones - What counts as data usage?

Mentor

New to SmartPhones - What counts as data usage?

[ Edited ]

I got the iPhone 4S recently, so some of these questions may some dumb.  This is my first smart phone ever.

Does being on wi-fi (for example, at home) constitute as data usage? 

Does updating existing apps count as data usage?

Does checking FB via the app count as data usage? 

Does downloading g-mail count toward data usage?

I am nearly at my 3 GB limit 13 days into the billing cycle.  It seemed way off to me. 

<CM Edit - new thread created/subject edited>

Message 1 of 25 (124,114 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: New to SmartPhones - What counts as data usage?

mike2854 wrote:

Well, I am using the one that is built into the iPhone 4S, not Google Earth/Maps or any other app that could be out there. 

Everytime the built in map app refreshes itself (which normally happens as you move), you will be using data.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 25 (123,053 Views)
Mentor

No wonder people still buy GPS's.

Thanks.

Message 17 of 25 (123,041 Views)
Former Community Manager

To help with perspective, I use Maps on my iPhone A LOT. Pretty much every day, honestly. I also use Facebook and Twitter a alot, along with some other data intensive apps. 

I rarely, if ever exceed 1.5GB's a month in data use. 

Everyone is different but most people don't use as much data as they think. Smiley Happy

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 18 of 25 (123,033 Views)
Mentor

I figured the maps function was "free" (at least data wise) since it came with it.  I would think if one used an Mapquest app (for example), that would be data being used which would make sense. 

I appreicate all the advice.   This has been a learning experience for certain! 

Message 19 of 25 (122,954 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

Data useage while connected to wifi, using Xfinity Connect texting

I am using an iPhone 4s, with AT&T wireless service. I use the Xfinity Connect app for texting, because it is included with my home land line phone package. I am often connected to a wireless service at home and/or work, but during that time, texting is using data. I thought it should be using wifi, and no data use? Is there a setting I'm missing? I monitored the useage with the myAT&T app.

Message 20 of 25 (121,176 Views)
Former Community Manager

Message 21 of 25 (119,160 Views)
Contributor

I have the Unlimited Messaging service. When I am connected to 3G, it will send texts as an "iMessage." Does this consume data? Or is it still classified as "Unlimited"?

Message 22 of 25 (117,415 Views)
Scholar

AKPorcupine wrote:
I have the Unlimited Messaging service. When I am connected to 3G, it will send texts as an "iMessage." Does this consume data? Or is it still classified as "Unlimited"?

iMessage is an iOS feature and uses data to connect to Apple's servers.

Your unlimited messaging plan only covers messages sent through AT&T's service and the latter is not counted as data.

-= ranron =-
Silver iPhone 5s - AT&T / 450 Rollover Minutes + 200 Bonus Minutes / Unlimited Int'l Data / 50 Roaming Messages / WorldTraveler / WorldConnect
Gray iPhone 5s - China Mobile / 1200 Minutes / 3GB data

[Note: I am not affiliated with AT&T]
Message 23 of 25 (117,374 Views)
Former Community Manager

ranron nailed it!

You don't have to use iMessages if you don't want to use that data. To turn iMessages off, Tap Settings>Messages and slide the dot from on to off. 

iMessages are blue, regular texts are green. That's an easy way to tell them apart. 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Message 24 of 25 (117,369 Views)
Contributor

First let me say I love the entire concept of using my home/work wifi to save on data usage, especially since this is a company phone. I have the Samsung Rugby Pro, which comes with a nifty app that show data usage; both mobile & wifi. Personally, I love this phone and play with it at home all the time.

Athough I don't believe my company has been charged for my wi/fi data usage, data usage warning emails are being sent to my company showing my TOTAL data, instead of my mobile usage. Although I showed my boss my data usage of 977mb was actually 922mb wi/fi & only 55mb mobile, the emails warnings and the fact that this is my first smart phone make him question the whole thing.

Is there a possibility of a flaw in the auto-email program or a need for an update? Any help/info would be great.

Message 25 of 25 (89,403 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.