Need your talk or text logs?
mike2854's profile

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

Wednesday, October 31st, 2012 1:48 PM

New to SmartPhones - What counts as data usage?

I got the iPhone 4S recently, so some of these questions may some dumb.  This is my first smart phone ever.

Does being on wi-fi (for example, at home) constitute as data usage? 

Does updating existing apps count as data usage?

Does checking FB via the app count as data usage? 

Does downloading g-mail count toward data usage?

I am nearly at my 3 GB limit 13 days into the billing cycle.  It seemed way off to me. 

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

New thread created.

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

11 years ago

If I was driving and used the map app that is built into the phone as a GPS and left it running the entire time, is that data usage?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@mike2854 wrote:

If I was driving and used the map app that is built into the phone as a GPS and left it running the entire time, is that data usage?

depends - there are some that do realtime updates with traffic, those will consume data, others will download the entire route and not have to access anything

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

11 years ago

Well, I am using the one that is built into the iPhone 4S, not Google Earth/Maps or any other app that could be out there. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 years ago

@mike2854 wrote:

Well, I am using the one that is built into the iPhone 4S, not Google Earth/Maps or any other app that could be out there. 

Everytime the built in map app refreshes itself (which normally happens as you move), you will be using data.

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

11 years ago

No wonder people still buy GPS's.

Thanks.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

To help with perspective, I use Maps on my iPhone A LOT. Pretty much every day, honestly. I also use Facebook and Twitter a alot, along with some other data intensive apps. 

I rarely, if ever exceed 1.5GB's a month in data use. 

Everyone is different but most people don't use as much data as they think. 🙂

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

11 years ago

I figured the maps function was "free" (at least data wise) since it came with it.  I would think if one used an Mapquest app (for example), that would be data being used which would make sense. 

I appreicate all the advice.   This has been a learning experience for certain! 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I am using an iPhone 4s, with AT&T wireless service. I use the Xfinity Connect app for texting, because it is included with my home land line phone package. I am often connected to a wireless service at home and/or work, but during that time, texting is using data. I thought it should be using wifi, and no data use? Is there a setting I'm missing? I monitored the useage with the myAT&T app.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

Moved to Android board.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.