Need your talk or text logs?
Gary L's profile
ACE - Expert

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

Wednesday, August 17th, 2016 5:45 PM

New Mobile Share Advantage plans available Aug. 21 w/ NO data overages (unlimited data at 128 kbps)

New Mobile Share Advantage plans are available August 21, 2016. 

No automatic data overage charges, data drops to 128 kbps and I guess it's unlimited (but I'm thinking they are avoiding that term intentionally). 

Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 1.40.03 PM.png

From http://about.att.com/story/att_introduces_mobile_share_advantage.html

Interesting pricing.

Line charges look like they are $20 a line for all plans.  

• So some lower data plans look more expensive, but you save $5 a line. 
  • Higher data plans look cheaper, but you pay $5 more a line.
  • Looks like (comparing old to new) you'll pay more if you have 3 or more lines (the extra $5 add up), 2 lines is iffy what way it goes.

I'm glad that they got rid of the 300MB plan (with the $20 overages that only brought 300MB more), now for $5 more you get a 1GB plan (it's $10 more but the line fee is $5 less).

But with cheaper plans and higher line fees, people will lose out a little with their FAN discounts.

These are new announced plans, I'm comparing them to current (Aug. 17, 2016) published plans (not retention plans).

Still no Canada roaming built in, that's a little bit of a surprise to me...

Update: It looks like you can't buy additional data overage packs for these plans, it looks like you must pick the correct size or it just slows down (noit excited about that).

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

1 Attachment

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

8 years ago

@Busternutt- Considering VZW added it to their plans, I can't imagine it hurting the bottom of either carrier too much. As it stands though,

AT&T has the worst international packages of all carriers. Once upon a time though it was a value. Today's age.. Ehh not so much.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

New plans are over priced but hey whats new.  Att has yet to not COPY OR BE LATE TO THE PARTY.  It would be nice if att would INOVATE!

These new plans while having no overage would cost me more

I pay 198.50 for 30gb of data 6 lines and a connected device line.

New plan assuming connected devices stay at 10 would be 231.50

Yeah no overages is not worth 33 bucks sorry ATT.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

Keep in mind AT&T is not asking anyone to switch to the new plans.

I'm sure they're grandfathering us in, just like they always have.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

8 years ago

Agreed with @Gary L. Also wouldn't go as far as to say the new plans suck but yeah, they aren't the best. Good thing is there are no overages in this. People have been asking this for ages. So this is practically unlimited data (@ 128 Kbps) once you go over your high speed data bucket.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@Gary L wrote:

Still does not change the fact that ATT is about to get over run by Tmobile.  Before end of the year tmobile is going to have as good or better coverage than ATT and Verizon.

ATT as I said need to INOVATE which they suck at.  They are really good at monkey see monkey do tho!

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

Yeap, people can stop complaining about getting socked with a $15 overage charge on the last day of their bill for 50-100 MB.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

@Gary L wrote:

Still does not change the fact that ATT is about to get over run by Tmobile.  Before end of the year tmobile is going to have as good or better coverage than ATT and Verizon.

ATT as I said need to INOVATE which they suck at.  They are really good at monkey see monkey do tho!

Better RURAL coverage, really?

I could have WiFi calling on TMo, which would be awesome, and solve several issues for me, but when I was on TMo before, rural coverage in WA state was really, really bad.  I could roam onto AT&T, but then I got capped, at 200MB/month, which was gone in a day.

There is the Canda thing, one of these new plans would definitely be a better deal, but I don't want to deal with seeing if I can get my Canada plan back, that was such a hassle last time, I don't understand why AT&T isn't competitive here (okay, not just here, as @GLIMMERMAN76 mentions, but it's a big one).

I've been looking at Fi, becaue they seem to let you roam, to all the TMo and Sprint partners, with no apparent caps, but I'd have to go with Android, and I'm not quite ready to bail on my 950XL, yet.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

I don't think I'll be switching anytime soon. I've got 4 lines on the 15GB plan. The new 16GB plan costs me $10 more while the new 10GB plan costs the same as what I'm paying now. Since I've never had an overage on the 15GB plan, no reason to give up 5GB. 

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

T-Mobile will have rural coverage anywhere close to Verizon or AT&T? Not happening by the end of the year. Comparable means covering small towns and remote areas in the fringes. Not just expanding suburb and exurb coverage. T-Mobile has to depend on giving away the farm in order to maintain it's current rate of growth. Lots of millenial hype and catering to younger, urban types. Net subscriber additions does not equal inscreased revenue however. It's that father of 3 college aged kids in his 60s that is the customer who brings in the true revenue. The person who wants to purchase his devices in store from a representative that sits down and shows him his new device.

Not sure what kind of innovation anyone is expecting. AT&T is never going to get into a discounting price war with psuedo-national carriers. Marketing hype and praise from glorified technology blogs means squat if you ask me.

This plan is obviously a means to match Verizon's no overage plans. So what. Gimmicks are nice for rapid growth but not exactly balance sheet friendly. T-Mobile running over anyone else is nice for a laugh. I guess if everyone on Howard Forums or Engadget say it in unison loud enough it may convince naive souls to believe it.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

Picture me doing a happy dance!    This was the right thing to do and I'm really excited!

At least I was until I read the $20 line fee.    Why.  Aren't we trying to be BETTER than Verizon?

Im glad you dug this up.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.