Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 5, 2012
10:51:56 AM
View profile
Mysterious midnight data usage

I notice in my data usage history shows that every day just after midnight there is a data usage. I know that i do not use data at midnight, at least not every day. Is there an explanation for that or does at&t just reports all the little updates that phone does all day in one chunk? There time I know I used the data, it does show the amount used. Also, at night my phone is always plugged in and should be using wifi. Mystery!

I notice in my data usage history shows that every day just after midnight there is a data usage. I know that i do not use data at midnight, at least not every day. Is there an explanation for that or does at&t just reports all the little updates that phone does all day in one chunk? There time I know I used the data, it does show the amount used. Also, at night my phone is always plugged in and should be using wifi. Mystery!

(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Oct 6, 2012 8:26:33 AM
(1)
Former Employee

SEREGA784 wrote:

The time in the usage history is not necessarily the same as when the data was actually downloaded. Those midnight entries could be a compilation of multiple data transfers from throughput the day. 

Accepted Solution

Mysterious midnight data usage

9 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 5, 2012 3:41:26 PM
(0)
Professor
IPhone?
IPhone?

Re: Mysterious midnight data usage

2 of 10 (5,419 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2012 7:53:53 AM
(0)
Scholar
No, Nokia Lumia 900.
No, Nokia Lumia 900.

3 of 10 (5,369 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Oct 6, 2012 8:26:33 AM
(1)
Former Employee

SEREGA784 wrote:

The time in the usage history is not necessarily the same as when the data was actually downloaded. Those midnight entries could be a compilation of multiple data transfers from throughput the day. 

SEREGA784 wrote:

4 of 10 (5,364 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2012 8:59:20 AM
(0)
Tutor

My daughter has an iPhone, and she has the same thing going on.  Only they are huge chuncks of data being sent from her phone to unknown places.  She swear's she's not doing anything.

My daughter has an iPhone, and she has the same thing going on.  Only they are huge chuncks of data being sent from her phone to unknown places.  She swear's she's not doing anything.

5 of 10 (4,728 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2012 9:01:56 AM
(0)
Tutor
How do I find out what is they cause? Saying they may be daily postings doesn't solve the problem that they are occurring.
How do I find out what is they cause? Saying they may be daily postings doesn't solve the problem that they are occurring.

6 of 10 (4,724 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2014 7:26:38 AM
(0)
Contributor

Did anyone ever get an answer to this? Our phones are doing the same thing, but every 3 hours around the clock. We have turned off celluar data, deleted all apps, turned off uses celluar data for any updates, but it is still using big chunks of data at midnight, 3:00 AM, 6:00 AM when we are sleeping

walrus4432 wrote:

Did anyone ever get an answer to this? Our phones are doing the same thing, but every 3 hours around the clock. We have turned off celluar data, deleted all apps, turned off uses celluar data for any updates, but it is still using big chunks of data at midnight, 3:00 AM, 6:00 AM when we are sleeping

walrus4432 wrote:

7 of 10 (1,931 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2014 7:53:00 AM
(0)
Contributor
I just noticed that all four of our phones are being charged for data at midnight, 3am and 6 am. At 6 am there is a huge amount. What is going on? Has AT&T been hacked?
I just noticed that all four of our phones are being charged for data at midnight, 3am and 6 am. At 6 am there is a huge amount. What is going on? Has AT&T been hacked?

8 of 10 (1,541 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2014 9:14:19 AM
(0)
Contributor
Of the 4 phones that are showing data usage every three hours from midnight to 6:00 am or 9:00am daily, one phone is not an iPhone and does NOT have app or internet capability, but is getting charged with data usage! Something is wrong here. I viewed my past months bill and none of this shows up.
Of the 4 phones that are showing data usage every three hours from midnight to 6:00 am or 9:00am daily, one phone is not an iPhone and does NOT have app or internet capability, but is getting charged with data usage! Something is wrong here. I viewed my past months bill and none of this shows up.

9 of 10 (1,527 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2014 12:42:06 PM
(0)
Scholar

walrus4432 wrote:

You have to watch the apps you download nowadays too; a lot of those apps "mysteriously" run in the back end. You can "force close", but they find a way to re-open. Awhile ago I let family members play on my phone, and they downloaded a game app( I will not disclose what app it was), that prompted you to take care of a household pet. That app(pet) done "mysterious" things with the functionality of my phone, and every time that app(pet) needed assistance it use a small amount of data.

walrus4432 wrote:

You have to watch the apps you download nowadays too; a lot of those apps "mysteriously" run in the back end. You can "force close", but they find a way to re-open. Awhile ago I let family members play on my phone, and they downloaded a game app( I will not disclose what app it was), that prompted you to take care of a household pet. That app(pet) done "mysterious" things with the functionality of my phone, and every time that app(pet) needed assistance it use a small amount of data.

10 of 10 (1,495 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments