Need your talk or text logs?
snkscore's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, January 5th, 2013 5:58 PM

Mobile Share - Ipad - Tethering/Hot Spot

I have several smartphones that I am thinking of moving to a mobile share plan + 10 GB of data/month.

I'm assuming that I could also add an ipad for 10/month and use the ipad as a mobile hotspot, but I can't find anything that says this (they only talk about "smartphones" or say that you can use Mobile Hotspot with Mobile Share, but don't specifically say tablets). 

Can anyone tell me if this is correct or not?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

You can use your iPhone or other phone as a mobile hotspot with the unlimited plan. But the question is, are you really going to use 10gb a month.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

The Unlimited plan is not the old Unlimited data plan that you are thinking about. The Unlimited plan is X amount of data, but unlimited voice & texting, which does allow you to use your iPhone or iPad with 3G, or other Smartphone device, to allow Tethering to said device.

In turn, you are using the data portion of the Unlimited Voice/Text plan to do what you wish.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

This doesn't really address my question.  I'm talking about an ipad @ $10/month on a Mobile Share data plan, not an iphone on an unlimited data plan.  But, on that subject, I had read that iphones on the unlimited data plan could *not* share their data via a mobile hotspot and that to do so would require changing to a different plan.  http://forums.att.com/t5/Apple-Community-Discussion/iOS-4-3-Mobile-Hotspot/td-p/2696115

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Ok, so what about ipads and other tablets on the $10/month mobile data share plan?

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Go back and re-read what I posted. What part of it is not clear. If still not clear, look at http://www.att.com/Common/about_us/pdf/att_mobile_share_plans.pdf and what does it state under the table after Additional data $15 per GB.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Well I've only seen it referred to as "Mobile Share", but I'm guessing when you are talking about the "Unlimited plan" you are talking about the same thing, where the "Mobile Share" is just really the data attached to a unlimited voice/text plan.  The PDF you linked to is the only place I've ever seen it say that you can use the mobile hotspot with a tablet.  This page (http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html) specifically says the mobile hotspot is for "smartphones" and makes no mention of being able to use it with a tablet, and they even have a different plan for the "mobile hotspot device" (the $20 plan).  Thanks for your help in clarifying this.

Scholar

• 

187 Messages

10 years ago

If your ipad is cellular it will cost to add it, but in my case I have a wifi only ipad and I can connect it with my mobile hotspot without adding it to the plan, same thing with my laptop.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.