Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Missing hotspot with Unlimited Data plan

Missing hotspot with Unlimited Data plan

My personal hotspot is missing since I upgraded cell plan to unlimited data.

Message 1 of 150
Employee

Re: Missing hotspot

Doesn't matter if a rep states this because the terms as written on the website, in writing, are what applies. It has never been an option.

You can say your usage is "fair" or "acceptable" but it doesn't change the fact that a small fraction of users are the ones who will ruin this for everyone else. A small percentage of users will abuse the system and to keep the network experience the same for everyone, it's just not allowed.

Verizon doesn't allow tethering on unlimited plans either. The other carriers do not allow true unlimited tethering usage either. There isn't a single cellular provider who grants completely unlimited data with as much tethering as you want.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 16 of 150
Teacher

She was mistaken when she told me that, no question about it.  It is in my record.  I am not upset at her, she was just mistaken.  Obviously, I am an old guy.  I am an admirer of Demming, who turned Japan around after WWII.  One of his tenants was to choose a vendor and stick with that vendor and you will be rewarded.  It appears that times have changed and I doubt that anyone on the Board of AT&T has ever heard of Demming or his philosophy.  I should go to another vendor but I hate to give up my unlimited data plan; it is a badge of loyality.

Message 17 of 150
Teacher

Has any vendor ever tried it?  Perhaps human nature may fool you.  Those of us who remain "grandfathered" with unlimited plans are a loyal bunch and I bet those would not abuse the privilege.  Besides, there are safeguards in place, such a significant, speed cutbacks when excessive use occurs.

Message 18 of 150
ACE - Sage

Loyalty comes in many forms.  Hanging on to an old plan that doesn't benefit you is not what AT&T wants if the plan doesn't suit you.  

If you are dedicated to AT&T, then go all in, dump the Verizon hotspot and try the current plan.

I assume you mean William Deming.  He was an engineer and also born in Iowa, just like my dad.  Also an expert in statistics, author, and professor among many other achievements.  My dad was a life long learner and had great respect for logic and education.    A highly intelligent and practical man who appreciated innovation.  Not someone who got mired in "loyalty" that was not also practical and functional.  

In short, he would have told you to re-evaluate your plan quite a while ago.  

(My dad used to debate with my sister and I over the dinner table.  Just an exercise in logic and reason)

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 150
Teacher

You are correct it is William Demming. From reading the website, I am not sure that AT&T has a plan that will take the place of my MiFi Card from Verizon since I use it to provide wifi internet to my laptops while traveling.
Message 20 of 150
ACE - Sage

The current Mobile Share advantage plan allows you to tether your phone to your laptop.  No need for a wifi hotspot.  The only reason you needed a hotspot was you couldn't tether your phone because of the unlimited plan.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html

$20 line fee for phones out of 2 year contract.  $40 until contract expires.  

Next plans carry to the new account if you still owe installments 

6 gigs for $60

10 gigs for $80.  

This plan has no overage charges.  If you need more data, you just swap to a larger plan. 

ATT does sell hotspots and can share the data plan for a $20 line charge, plus cost of the device.

BUT...if you only use it for travel for your laptop, it is redundant as the phone can hotspot multiple devices and still function as a phone. 

The only issue left if whether ATT service is adequate every where you go.  If you are not able to get ATT service, you should consider a switch to Verizon, which offers a similar plan.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 150
Teacher

Thank you for your help and for the information. Bill
Message 22 of 150
ACE - Expert

@wrrector wrote:

I am (what I consider) one of their most loyal customers since I have a "grandfathered" unlimited data plan.  I rarely use more than 2GB per month and my monthly bill for 4 phones is approximately $275/month.  I have a Verison MiFi Card that I pay $35 per month for 3 GB that I rarely use more than 2GB of data.  I use it as a WIFi when I travel.  About twice per year I will use 4 or 5 GB/month when I travel for which I pay $10/GB that month.  It does gall me to have to pay for the Verizon Card when I feel that I use my AT&T account responsibilibly.  When I travel I carry a laptop and I need to be able to connect it.  

If you've got an extra $75 a month, you could be sending it to ME instead of AT&T! 

I need it way more than they do...   Smiley Happy

You could get 10GB for $80 and the four lines for $20 a piece (plus tax/fees).  

That's going to save you at least $75 a month!

16GB for only $10 more ($90 a month).

That's with unlimited calling / texting in US and Mexico

(and Canada if you call and ask for it).

That would cover the lines and if your phone is recent, would probably let you tether for no extra cost (other than the data). I tether/hotspot 8GB-15GB a month through my iPhone and it's just like using a WiFi MiFi hotspot, super easy...

Oops, now I see @lizdance40 told you pretty much the same thing.

@lizdance40 wrote:

Another user gave up his unlimited so he could tether.  @Gary L has no regrets.

I'm loving it!  I couldn't tether and now I'm paying less and I can tether! And the person on the previous plan with the smallest data amount (200MB) is now paying less and they've got a 3GB portion of the plan now!   

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Message 23 of 150
Contributor

Question, I have an Iphone and we just got the unlimited data plan. I have the personal hotspot setting on my phone, I am using it right now, no problem? Should I plan on it going away? I am confused as to why everything here says its not allowed when I am on my laptop right now using the data from my phone with the hotspot setting? 

Message 24 of 150
Professor

@yocallmegabz Consider yourself lucky for the time being. You aren't the first to notice this happening. However, you should probably not depend on it being the case forever. One day, you may wake up and find your hotspot disabled. In the meantime, enjoy your good fortune.

"Customers helping customers; not always successfully"
Message 25 of 150
ACE - Sage

I would be concerned ATT would think you were hacking to use tethering and terminate the account.  

Message 26 of 150
ACE - Expert

They don't terminate accounts on the old unlimited plans when they detect tethering, they take the unlimited data plan away, but then they've been trying to get users off that plan since it was discontinued. Not sure what they will do in cases like this but I don't think they'll terminate the account. 

Message 27 of 150
Teacher

If you just got your plan, then it is not the "Grandfathered Unlimited Plan" since it has not been sold for a number of years. But please let me know what plan you do have since it sounds like what I need. Bill
Message 28 of 150

I am a "grandfathered" mobile share family of two with 5g plan.  We are retired and on the road a lot--RV. And even when home-based are in outlying areas where good wi-fi is not available, BUT out AT&T signal and broadband width is usually acceptable. I recently added Direct Tv to our account. Then...found out if I wasn't careful, I'd loose my hotspot.  Is AT&T doing away with hotspot? Are they replacing with something else. Both my homes in NY &TEXAS are not U-verse as of yet-not even the town, let alone the outskirts!  Twice now I've been dinged for 2 additional; wouldn't care as much if it was rolled over,,...

Message 29 of 150
ACE - Expert

@kallikat11 ATT is not doing away with hotspot. As long as you stay on a Mobile Share plan, you will have hotspot. You lose it if you switch to the unlimited data plan. 

Message 30 of 150
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support