For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
Richardensley's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, May 7th, 2016 4:22 PM

Missing hotspot with Unlimited Data plan

My personal hotspot is missing since I upgraded cell plan to unlimited data.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you for your help and for the information. Bill

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@wrrector wrote:

I am (what I consider) one of their most loyal customers since I have a "grandfathered" unlimited data plan.  I rarely use more than 2GB per month and my monthly bill for 4 phones is approximately $275/month.  I have a Verison MiFi Card that I pay $35 per month for 3 GB that I rarely use more than 2GB of data.  I use it as a WIFi when I travel.  About twice per year I will use 4 or 5 GB/month when I travel for which I pay $10/GB that month.  It does gall me to have to pay for the Verizon Card when I feel that I use my AT&T account responsibilibly.  When I travel I carry a laptop and I need to be able to connect it.  

If you've got an extra $75 a month, you could be sending it to ME instead of AT&T! 

I need it way more than they do...   🙂

You could get 10GB for $80 and the four lines for $20 a piece (plus tax/fees).  

That's going to save you at least $75 a month!

16GB for only $10 more ($90 a month).

That's with unlimited calling / texting in US and Mexico

(and Canada if you call and ask for it).

That would cover the lines and if your phone is recent, would probably let you tether for no extra cost (other than the data). I tether/hotspot 8GB-15GB a month through my iPhone and it's just like using a WiFi MiFi hotspot, super easy...

Oops, now I see @lizdance40 told you pretty much the same thing.

@lizdance40 wrote:

Another user gave up his unlimited so he could tether.  @Gary L has no regrets.

I'm loving it!  I couldn't tether and now I'm paying less and I can tether! And the person on the previous plan with the smallest data amount (200MB) is now paying less and they've got a 3GB portion of the plan now!   

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Question, I have an Iphone and we just got the unlimited data plan. I have the personal hotspot setting on my phone, I am using it right now, no problem? Should I plan on it going away? I am confused as to why everything here says its not allowed when I am on my laptop right now using the data from my phone with the hotspot setting? 

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

@yocallmegabz Consider yourself lucky for the time being. You aren't the first to notice this happening. However, you should probably not depend on it being the case forever. One day, you may wake up and find your hotspot disabled. In the meantime, enjoy your good fortune.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

8 years ago

I would be concerned ATT would think you were hacking to use tethering and terminate the account.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

They don't terminate accounts on the old unlimited plans when they detect tethering, they take the unlimited data plan away, but then they've been trying to get users off that plan since it was discontinued. Not sure what they will do in cases like this but I don't think they'll terminate the account. 

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

8 years ago

If you just got your plan, then it is not the "Grandfathered Unlimited Plan" since it has not been sold for a number of years. But please let me know what plan you do have since it sounds like what I need. Bill

Tutor

• 

14 Messages

8 years ago

I am a "grandfathered" mobile share family of two with 5g plan.  We are retired and on the road a lot--RV. And even when home-based are in outlying areas where good wi-fi is not available, BUT out AT&T signal and broadband width is usually acceptable. I recently added Direct Tv to our account. Then...found out if I wasn't careful, I'd loose my hotspot.  Is AT&T doing away with hotspot? Are they replacing with something else. Both my homes in NY &TEXAS are not U-verse as of yet-not even the town, let alone the outskirts!  Twice now I've been dinged for 2 additional; wouldn't care as much if it was rolled over,,...

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@kallikat11 ATT is not doing away with hotspot. As long as you stay on a Mobile Share plan, you will have hotspot. You lose it if you switch to the unlimited data plan. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

So what is the big deal about using the hot spot on our phones or tablets? as long as we dont go over the 22 GiG whats the big deal?  AT&T should allow us to use the features on our devices. Can someone from AT&T explane why the hot spot is blocked to unlimited users?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.