Need your talk or text logs?
Richardensley's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, May 7th, 2016 4:22 PM

Missing hotspot with Unlimited Data plan

My personal hotspot is missing since I upgraded cell plan to unlimited data.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

You cannot use tethering or mobile hotspot with the unlimited data plan.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/unlimited-plan.html

No, tethering and use of your device as a mobile hotspot are not allowed.

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I just discovered this and I'm livid. I changed my cable to directv just so I could get unlimited data and with 5 phone calls to AT&T about this, no one ever mentioned that I would no longer have my hotspot. So now I have crappyy cable, unlimited data and no hotspot.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

It's posted on the terms and conditions page of the unlimited plan. It has always been this way, even with grandfathered unlimited plans from the original iPhone days. No tethering is allowed. You may freely switch to a Mobile Share Value plan that offers mobile hotspot if it is a feature that is needed.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

I have a Go Phone plan...Can I use my hotspot? It worked a month ago, now it doesn't work.

Thanks so much!

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

@jmhiphone5

you can tether with iPhones or ATT phones on the $45 and $60 plans.  We have many reports of problems activating the hotspot.  Call ATT about turning it on on your account.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Just happened to me too, and the worst part is that in my case I was actually lied to by the customer service rep I talked to (he tried to tell me it would be available "After I signed the customer service agreement with DirectTV and after it had been installed"). That was an obvious attempt to get me locked into the service before I found out AT&T intentionally misdirects people about this. Fortunately, I got suspicious and did some research before DirectTV was installed, found out the truth, and cancelled everything.

The fact that this plan can't be used with any device other than a phone or a tablet (and then with no tethering allowed) should be front and center. I know this comes as a baffling suprise to AT&T employees, but customers don't like digging through 200-page "agreements" to find massive caveats like this. And frankly, if I had been tricked into getting DirectTV before being told about these caveats, as the "customer service" rep I talked to seemed to intend by lying about it, I would have sued for damages and false representation (I have a recording of the conversation between me and the rep).

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

@JHMN15

That is not what you posted on the other thread.  Now who is misleading?  

Since it is in every publication of the unlimited plan and in NO LESS THAN FOUR places on the website, anyone who reads can see the conditions and limitations of the plan.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

4 Attachments

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Oh my goodness! This is so unethical! Perhaps this is a perfect time to switch to Verizon. How can they present included features like a hotspot and in my case, I actually had one...and then just remove it? Seems illegal too! I find that BBB complaints help as those in the company just give you the run-around!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Yea, I had the hotspot and now it is gone. Confusing!

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@jmhiphone5 They didn't remove your feature, you switched to a plan that doesn't have that feature.  That plan you switched to never had the feature. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.