For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
mushion22's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, November 29th, 2015 7:43 AM

LTE on overseas hotspot - need LTE capable IMEI?

Hi there,

I've brought a Netgear Aircard 790 to the USA from Australia and put an At&t gophone SIM in it with a data only plan.

When activating, the device's IMEI wasn't recognised. After reading several forum posts about similar problems, it seems that this is the reason the device will not connect to LTE as At&t don't recognise it as an LTE device in their database. (it has the correct bands for both At&t HSPA and LTE and is unlocked, it's working fine on 3G/HSDPA with the 'broadband' APN)

Is it still the case that the only way to have it allowed onto LTE will be to find an IMEI from a LTE capable tablet or data card/hotspot that is known to AT&T and have them set that IMEI for my SIM? Or is there another workaround?

Most of the forum posts are from over a year ago so I was wondering if there is another way now.

Cheers.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

From what I was able to dig up it has 2 of the 4 required LTE bands for ATT.

ATT bands are 2,4,5 and 17 and future band 30 

The air card appears to have 2,3 and 17 and was designed for the European market.

Limited or no LTE would be expected if that is the case.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

It does have band 2, and I was in band 2 areas.

In addition, it should be capable of DC-HSPA but was limited to HSPA+

It's not a big deal, but it would be nice to have, but not worth the hassle of spending hours on the phone or trying to get an IMEI from an At&t device so that 4G and LTE could be enabled.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.