Need your talk or text logs?
COPTX's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Tuesday, October 23rd, 2018 1:30 PM

LTE hotspot streaming problems

My wife and I have iPhone6's which we use for streaming while away from home in our RV. We have a unlimited data plan. We are at the beginning of our plan and have not received any messages from AT&T that say we have used 75% of our data for a hotspot. We subscribe to Direct Now and here is our experience. We start watching a show using one of our iPhones and about an hour into the show we get a message saying our data rate is too slow. We then switch to the other iPhone and all is well for awhile. So it appears that AT&T is slowing down our data rate after some period of time. Obviously this is unacceptable. So my question is are other people seeing a similar problem or does someone know if this is typical for AT&T to slow down the data rate after a period of time has elapsed.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@COPTX

Data streamed from the mobile app (mobile means the app on your phone or tablet) is “sponsored”.   Sponsored means the mobile data used on sponsored apps is not counted against your cellular data plan.  

The Roku stick is not a mobile device and nothing on it it’s a mobile app.  

More on Data free TV (through mobile apps for Uverse and DTV). 

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/u-verse-tv/KM1131836?gsi=s4D0OyY

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

Many people do watch on phone or tablet.  I travel during the day for work and use tablet or phone between calls frequently.   Often news content.  

I don’t know who explained sponsored data to you, but they didn’t explain it correctly.  

To stream data free, you would have to get a cable to connect direct to the TV from the iPhone and use screen mirroring.  I think Apple sells these cables. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

Are you watching on the phone or using the hotspot to connect another streaming device?

The hotspot limit is either 10 or 15 gigs on your phones.  

If you are connections to an Apple TV or Roku to stream, the DTVN app is it the mobile app, and it’s not sponsored data.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

5 years ago

Using the hotspot on iPhone to stream to a Roku stick attached to the TV. I have no idea what you mean by "it's not sponsored data". Also when we subscribed to Direct Now we were told by the sales lady that the data we used would not go against our plan limits.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

5 years ago

OK - thanks for the explanation. I am really upset about what the Direct Now saleslady told us since when we were discussing our situation in the RV we made it clear we wanted to stream to a Roku. Why would anyone want to watch TV on their phone or tablet???

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks I will see Apple has an HDMI adapter for iPhone or iPad

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.