For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
Looking4Deal's profile

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Thursday, February 16th, 2017 9:48 PM

Is tethering included on new Unlimited Plan starting 2/17/2017?

Is tethering included on new Unlimited Plan starting 2/17/2017?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@sandblaster wrote:

I could be wrong but I think this is not ATT's last change to the unlimited plan. Believe it or not, it takes quite a bit of time to institute new pricing and adding hotspot isn't as easy as one might think. I suspect ATT was caught off guard with Verizon's plan and there are more changes in the works. 

@sandblaster

we have watched sprint do it this week.  ATT does not care about the customer only the shareholders which I am both so its meh to me.  Its not rocket science for a billion dollar company to change prices.  The hotspot I may give you that since new codes have to be writen.

Guru

• 

691 Messages

7 years ago

@sandblaster I hope your right and I hope this isn't their only/last change to the unlimited plan.. they will need to be more aggressive if they wish to retain subscribers not to mention attract new ones.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

@alphadog00   

T-mobile is the best option as long as you get the coverage.

To clear up a few  things... (not that you should change your mind..

1.   Verizon would cost you $160, ATT would cost you $166, but no tethering.  

2.  The free 4th line must be a smartphone (tablets or basic phones don't qualify).  

3.   The ATT unlimited plan includes roaming with your plan in Canada and Mexico once you add the feature on each line.  (Free)

4.   Verizon is actually very unlocked phone friendly.  Unlike ATT you get HD voice and wifi calling.  However the phones must have CDMA for 3G.  All the Nexus phones, Moto pure edition and Pixel have CDMA and work great on any carrier.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

7 years ago

your discount is only off the 60 dollar part of the plan not the 100...  That is why the verizon deal looks so darn good.

This is incorrect. The discount is off my main line of my family plan... Currently my 15gb plan is $100 and I get a $23 discount. If I don't get that on the unlimited plan, then it becomes a worse deal. 

As for Verizon. The number of phones that are available is small. So yes the Pixel and Nexus and  a few others, but I plan to stay in the GSM realm where compatibility is not an issue. But Verizon still creates problems for OEMs - if you had a Pixel on Verizon, you would find your bootloader locked with the latest update. Nexus phones on Verizon are delayed in getting updates. And Verizon international plans (check out the cost of going to EU) makes them really good for NA travel only. 

Other then their recent unlimited offering they have been very consumer unfriendly. This kept me with ATT. My corp discount kept me from leaving, but Tmobile has increasingly added coverage and features to the point that ATT has no advantage any more. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@alphadog00 wrote:

your discount is only off the 60 dollar part of the plan not the 100...  That is why the verizon deal looks so darn good.

This is incorrect. The discount is off my main line of my family plan... Currently my 15gb plan is $100 and I get a $23 discount. If I don't get that on the unlimited plan, then it becomes a worse deal. 

He was talking about the unlimited plan, not your current plan. If you changed to unlimited, your discount would only apply to the $60 data charge, not any of the line charges. Assuming your discount is 23%, you would get a $13.80 discount on the unlimited plan.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@alphadog00 wrote:

As for Verizon. The number of phones that are available is small. So yes the Pixel and Nexus and  a few others, but I plan to stay in the GSM realm where compatibility is not an issue. But Verizon still creates problems for OEMs - if you had a Pixel on Verizon, you would find your bootloader locked with the latest update. Nexus phones on Verizon are delayed in getting updates. And Verizon international plans (check out the cost of going to EU) makes them really good for NA travel only. 

Other then their recent unlimited offering they have been very consumer unfriendly. This kept me with ATT. My corp discount kept me from leaving, but Tmobile has increasingly added coverage and features to the point that ATT has no advantage any more. 

@alphadog00

yeah I was talking about the unlimited data plan.  Thats the reason I dont switch to the one ATT offers.

The bootloader lock on the pixel does not matter one bit.  I bought my wife a vzw pixel xl at best buy and the bootloader is now unlocked.  But hey its only a few commands to get it that way.  ATT creates problems for OEM's just like verizon.  GSM is becoming a dated tech just like CDMA.  LTE is GSM based but will be the future of cell networks for voice traffic.  Tmobile has a long way to go to get good coverage outside the cities.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@alphadog00 wrote:

I had to login just to post. I get a corporate discount with ATT. So 15GB of data on family share plan, 3 lines, and I own my phones. $135 per month after Taxes. The T-Mo prices is $140 after taxes for unlimited everything and tethering. Why should i NOT switch?

Not to mention the free access from other countries and 10GB of tethering... 

But how is the coverage for T-Mo?

I'm not paying AT&T for the privledge of having their logo on my bill, I'm paying them for the coverage where I want and need it.

@alphadog00 If you stay with AT&T, let me know I can tell you have to get free Canada Roaming Bonus for your lines...

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

7 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76

Well, let's agree to disagree. 

Until Verizon drops CDMA support from their phones, they are the ones that are using dated technology. GSM is still the world standard - although some carriers in other countries are going right to LTE - with no fallback to GSM. 

Where i live VZW coverage is mediocre at best. I have a Verizon work phone and ATT personal - I get consistently better performance on ATT. I had dropped TMo way back when due to poor coverage in rural areas, but their coverage map has changed a lot in the 9 years since i had them. 

If you buy a Pixel today and take the latest update with a Verizon SIM card before unlocking the bootloader, it is permanently locked... my friend had this happen. Got a replacement and it was flashed to latest from factory. He has about 20 lines with his company so Verizon got google to ship him a phone direct. 

But ATT is no better if you buy an ATT branded phone. I choose to buy non-carrier branded phones, and that makes me stick to GSM carriers. 

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

7 years ago

@Gary L

Thanks... still venting. But getting more serious the more i think about it. With Tmo also offering $150 per line to switch, that is $450 in my pocket. I may get a pay as you go sim this weekend and make some country trips to see how coverage is.

I don't really need to rush, but ATT needs to know that their plan is no deal for anyone.... who would have thought that Verizon would actually have better pricing/features then ATT?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

@alphadog00

Again, I'm not disputing T-mo is the way to go.  ATT blew it.  But not all info is accurate.

"...As for Verizon. The number of phones that are available is small.  There are more phones for GSM, very true.  But the number is expanding because contracts are no longer offered by most US carriers.  So yes the Pixel and Nexus and a few others, but I plan to stay in the GSM realm where compatibility is not an issue.  My preference to.  But Verizon still creates problems for OEMs - if you had a Pixel on Verizon, you would find your bootloader locked with the latest update.   Not mine.  I do not ever buy phones from the carrier.  My pixel was purchased from Google.   Nexus phones on Verizon are delayed in getting updates.   Non branded phones are not delayed.  We have Nexus 6 and Nexus 6p and Moto pure in the family.  They receive updates direct from the manufacturer.   Updates, even from the manufacturer don't happen the day of release.   Google android 7 update for 6p didn't happen until almost 2 months after official release was announced.  The same rumor was spread about ATT.   Not founded in truth.   And Verizon international plans (check out the cost of going to EU) makes them really good for NA travel only. ..". Google Fi and T-mo offer the best international plans. No doubt about it. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.