Is iMessage international really free?

Contributor

Is iMessage international really free?

I have a friend who traveled to Asia but he lives in the states. If we text over iMessage will I at all get charged?
I have turned off the automatic send as an SMS if iMessage fails. Is there anything else I need to do?
Message 1 of 7 (6,006 Views)
Highlighted
Former Employee
Solution
Accepted by ATTDelia (Employee)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Is iMessage international really free?

Nope, should be good. iMessade uses data only for as long as you're online you'll be fine.

d.

Message 2 of 7 (5,979 Views)
Contributor

Thanks!
Message 3 of 7 (5,972 Views)
Mentor

Just to be safe I'd use Text Free or some other text client, or even an IM client (AIM, Yahoo, MSN, ICQ)
Message 4 of 7 (5,827 Views)
Contributor

Will data associated with iMessage international be international rate charges or from regular monthly data plan ?
Message 5 of 7 (318 Views)
ACE - Expert

Only on your friends phone.  If you use wifi and have SMS off, you are safe.  The only way to b charged for intentional data, is to be in another country.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) We are fellow customers. Our answers are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 7 (316 Views)
ACE - Master

Even as SMS, if their number is a US number, you aren't going to be billed regardless of where they are.

[The (very) fine print:
When solved / helped, please mark your question as solved by clicking "Accept solution".
This helps other people to find an answer more quickly. This is the AT&T community forum (not AT&T support). Please keep in mind that just because my answer doesn't solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be the correct information...]
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 7 (298 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.