Need your talk or text logs?
ipwn3r123's profile

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

Thursday, August 16th, 2012 3:06 AM

Is cellular data plan required for ALL smartphones?

Hi community,

I might be getting a new smartphone this December. But what I heard from a lot of people said that you need cellular data to get a smartphone. I personally don't want to buy a phone online, since their too expensive. Is it really true that you need a cellular data plan?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@ipwn3r123 wrote:

Hi community,

I might be getting a new smartphone this December. But what I heard from a lot of people said that you need cellular data to get a smartphone. I personally don't want to buy a phone online, since their too expensive. Is it really true that you need a cellular data plan?

a smartphone requires a data plan, if you add one with out it, one wil be added automaticly  to make the account compliant to the terms of service.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

Wingrider is right, all smartphones require a dataplan. 

There are many options though and I'm sure you can find both a phone and plans in your price range!

Here is some information on the data plans AT&T has available (we just announced Mobile Sharing too!): https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html#fbid=60W_98CGcoP

Let us know if you have any questions about phones or plans. 

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

12 years ago

Well, I might be planning to order the family voice plan, lets say, the 700 minute one. That costs $69.99 a month. Then I am getting a smartphone just for myself. Then i have a add a data plan, the minimum one is 300 MB, which is another $20 a month. So the total is $89.99 a month? Am I correct?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@ipwn3r123 wrote:

Well, I might be planning to order the family voice plan, lets say, the 700 minute one. That costs $69.99 a month. Then I am getting a smartphone just for myself. Then i have a add a data plan, the minimum one is 300 MB, which is another $20 a month. So the total is $89.99 a month? Am I correct?

69.99 for two phones

20.00 for a 300mb smartphone

--------

??.?? - add on for state, local, federal, carrier recover charges these charges are variable depending on your location, for me it adds about 20 percent to the bill.

If you need texting, it will be an additional 30.00 a month for unlimited texting (only plan available other thn per message charges). The added incentive here is with the 700 minute voice plan, the texting plan adds unlimited mobile to any mobile, so you can call someone that has another carriers phone and not be charged minutes

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

12 years ago

I don't need text, I don't think I will be texting at all. So it's $89.99 plus taxes for total. 

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

12 years ago

Also, do I have to pay extra to get a discount smartphone? I heard that someone got a Samsung galaxy s3, and he pays extra $20 each month. I might be gettthe the iPhone 4s or upcoming iphone 5, does it matter?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@ipwn3r123 wrote:

Also, do I have to pay extra to get a discount smartphone? I heard that someone got a Samsung galaxy s3, and he pays extra $20 each month. I might be gettthe the iPhone 4s or upcoming iphone 5, does it matter?

the only extra is the data plan, there are no other surcharges

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

12 years ago

Can I cancel the data plan later on if I get a discounted smartphone?

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

12 years ago

@ipwn3r123 wrote:

Can I cancel the data plan later on if I get a discounted smartphone?

The only way you can cancel the data plan is if you stop using a smartphone. The system can see what phone you're using, and if it sees a smartphone it will automatically add a dataplan to the line.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

12 years ago

Alright, thanks guys for all the information. I will see what to do after my current contract ends.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.