For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
sankeerth23's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Monday, May 8th, 2017 9:48 PM

International call forwarding and text message forwarding

I am traveling to Europe in a week and got my phone unlocked. I also purchased an international sim card that im planning to put in my phone and take out the At&t sim during my travels. Is there any way I can get calls and text messages forwarded to my new sim? Would using something like google voice or something else work? 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@sankeerth23 I forward calls to google voice (and they go straight to voicemail), but the texts don't forward for me. 

Maybe set up your account at https://messages.att.net and check it a few times a day?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

You could forward calls to your international number but you would pay international long distance for all those calls. Texts can not be forwarded. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

garylapointe wrote:

Maybe set up your account at https://messages.att.net and check it a few times a day?

@Gary L Good idea but I don't think this will work. I could be wrong but I think the wireless phone has to receive the text before they show up on the website. I know on an iPhone you have to turn iMessage off and login to att Messages to get this to work. On other ATT branded phones you have to turn on and opt in to the ATT Messages service. The idea is the phone stores all texts in the cloud and from there it is available to other devices, but I don't think they get to the cloud without going through the phone.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

So to clarify calls will be forwarded even without my AT&T sim in a phone but messages wont. So if i want to get messages too, one workaround could be to put my AT&T sim in an old phone and have someone keep that on for the duration of my trip? 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@sankeerth23 I could be wrong about the phone needing to be on for the ATT Messages but if I'm right, that "old" phone would have to be a "supported" smartphone. Another option is to put your ATT SIM card into the phone once a day or so to receive any messages. There are no international charges for incoming messages, only messages sent.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@sandblaster wrote:
I know on an iPhone you have to turn iMessage off and login to att Messages to get this to work. On other ATT branded phones you have to turn on and opt in to the ATT Messages service. The idea is the phone stores all texts in the cloud and from there it is available to other devices, but I don't think they get to the cloud without going through the phone.

I've logged in and enabled it and I can get my non-iMessages at https://messages.att.net but my iMessages still come to the Apple messages app.

In their case they were going to get a local SIM, as long as they have data on that plan (or WiFi), they'll still get the iMessages that way, right?

@sandblaster wrote:
Good idea but I don't think this will work. I could be wrong but I think the wireless phone has to receive the text before they show up on the website. 

That's possible, I'm not sure of this (at all). I thought this was a possible way to get messages when you forgot / lost a phone. But if they left the SIM in another phone (see 5) it could work for them.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@sankeerth23 wrote:

So to clarify calls will be forwarded even without my AT&T sim in a phone but messages wont. So if i want to get messages too, one workaround could be to put my AT&T sim in an old phone and have someone keep that on for the duration of my trip? 

If there is an issue with the texts, you could do the spare phone.

You could even bring the spare phone with you, just turn off data (receiving text is free in most plans) and the forwarding to GV would be on.

To be clear my GV forwards to my phone so when I forward it back, GV sends it straight to GV voicemail and transcribes it and e-mails it to me and alerts any Google Voice apps I have.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

@sandblaster

So to clarify if i put my at&t sim in abroad and dont do anything I should theoretically get messages and not be charged? Or do you mean messages on AT&T messages.  I dont have to put my phone in roaming or pay for one of the international plans? 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@Gary L wrote:

In their case they were going to get a local SIM, as long as they have data on that plan (or WiFi), they'll still get the iMessages that way, right?

If it's an iPhone, yes. Didn't see where the OP said what kind of phone.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Have a note 5. Do you know of any way to get that functionality on an android? 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.