For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
DovesNest's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, April 4th, 2017 5:20 PM

International Day Pass

I'm traveling abroad and switched to the international day pass. I'm only charged $10/day IF I use my iPhone 6s...BUT am I charged if I receive a text or call from the US?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Incoming texts are covered by your domestic text plan, so no, receiving a text should not trigger a charge. As for receiving a call, definitely for any call you answer. If you don't answer, I think the answer is maybe and depends on the foreign carrier. When I've travelled overseas, some unanswered calls would incur a 1 minute charge. That would have triggered the $10 charge if I had the day pass plan.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

The only answer that matters is the one embedded in the billing system - not what the web site says, not what support says.

Dan

Professor

• 

1.1K Messages

7 years ago

Per the terms at https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans/day-pass.html

"Once you add this option to your device, the first time you use data or voice, or send a text message in an International Day Pass (IDP) country, you’ll automatically be charged a $10 daily fee.".

So any voice activity, including receiving a call will trigger it. Receiving a text should not trigger it.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

The FAQ states "if you make or accept a call" it triggers it. I read that to mean if you receive a call but do not answer it and it goes to voicemail it does not trigger the $10 charge. If you listen to voicemail using wifi calling  - no trigger. If you listen to it using your data, you've just paid $10

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

7 years ago

The FAQ states "if you make or accept a call" it triggers it. I read that to mean if you receive a call but do not answer it and it goes to voicemail it does not trigger the $10 charge. If you listen to voicemail using wifi calling  - no trigger. If you listen to it using your data, you've just paid $10

I'm not sure that is true? - I found the following about normal rate charges and this seems to imply that allowing a call to go to voicemail uses data not just when the call is retrieved.  https://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/know-before-you-go.jsp

When outside the U.S., Puerto Rico and USVI, you will be charged normal international roaming airtime when incoming calls are routed to voicemail, even if no message is left.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

So if I got this all right:
--Receiving call but not answering - no day pass activation/charge
--Recieving call & no answer but voicemail kick in --> day pass charge activated
--Receive text --> no Charge
--Replying to text --> yes charge
-- calling/FaceTime on wifi --> no charge
--doing text on wifi --> no charge

I'm headed to Ireland and N Ireland. Should be good there based on above?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

7 years ago

Why not use passport?   One of the issues that has come up is Day pass is charging a 30% tax.  So it's not $10, it's going to be $13.  The tax on passport plans is more like 5%.    If your phone is wifi calling capable, you can go without cell service for most of the trip. 

I spent 8 days in St Kitts and between wifi and airplane mode, I didn't even need passport as I would have paid $22 if I paid per use.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks. I probably wouldn't bother at all. It with 2 kids in the states back at home, we need to determine what's best in the evan someone needs to get a hold of us in an emergency.

That's what simply put, I wanted to know if what I posted above holds true.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@IntlTravler wrote:
--Recieving call & no answer but voicemail kick in --> day pass charge activated

I'd say NO. 

Your phone is going to do things in the background. If you don't disable EVERYTHING then you'll get some charges.

• If someone sends you a message via iMessage in Messages that gives you blue bubbles (not green) then that is data (because it's not actually a text).
  • If someone makes a FaceTime call to you on cellular, that's data.
  • An e-mail app checks your mail, that's data.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@IntlTravler wrote:

Not quite. Receiving a call, even if not answered, might trigger the daily charge. It all depends on the foreign carrier. If they charge for the call, it will trigger the daily charge. My experience on unanswered calls is most do not charge but it can happen. Also, any cellular data usage will trigger the daily charge. Best to leave data roaming off and only turn it on if you want to use data.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.