Need your talk or text logs?
dcboyd69's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008 2:20 PM

Closed

Instant Messaging Question????

I have the Unlimited Messaging Family Plan for my phones. If I login to Windows Live IM and stay logged in will there be any charges for me being online all the time? If so, what is the time limit to being logged into IM?

Explorer

• 

9 Messages

15 years ago

1. type *#6984125*# it should automatically open up some settings

2. select number 4, internals

3. when prompted for the master key, type *#9072641*# and confirm

4. select 6 protocol settings

5. select 8 IM settings

6. then select AOL and check if the server url is http://aol2.cwmim.com:1171/

7. assuming that it is aol2, delete the 2 in the url and save.  while you're at it, go through the rest of the IM programs (icq, msn, yahoo) and see whether there's a 2 in the url similar to the default aim url before changing.

so far, i've been using aim and i'm constantly monitoring the data usage online.  despite having 1 kb usage out of nowhere, this is a big improvement from the huge data usage before.  i hope this helps some propel users.

*WARNING* i'm still testing aim to see if i'm getting billed for data usage and also, don't mess with any other settings in the menu or else the phone may become unusable

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

15 years ago

Just wondering how things were going with the other people with this problem.

Thanks fighter, i will remove the 2 from my phone and see how it goes.

Explorer

• 

9 Messages

15 years ago

ok i have an update on my earlier suggestion.  well, so far after a couple of weeks using the new settings, i have not been charged for data usage.  i am still waiting for the bill 2 weeks away, but so far, i'm not expecting any charges.  for any propel user (or anyone having problems with their IM programs charging data), i suggest looking at the server settings for the programs.  they should be this:

AIM:  http://aol.cwmim.com:1171/

Yahoo:  http://yahoo.cwmim.com:1174/

MSN:  http://msn.cwmim.com:1175/

hopefully this will solve any problems with any other propel users.  i'll post an update later when this month's bill arrives.  and goodluck amunet.  hopefully the new server settings will help.  so far, its been doing good for me.

Message Edited by x35fighter on 01-29-2009 10:34:41 PM

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

15 years ago

I just bought a propel + unlimited messaging.

I was using the phone's IM client today to chat on AIM as I was looking around the forum and stumbled upon this thread.

I checked my account's data usage and I only saw 47 texts show up for the time I was IMing, but no data charges. Though it was only this morning.

I looked at the url and it has the 2 in there.

Maybe this was a problem, but it was fixed? Or it only effects certain phones or people in a certain area?

It certainly can't be all propels or there would be many more people complaining.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

15 years ago

I see the data use show up today, but theoretically I shouldn't be billed for that, right? Yeah. *crosses fingers*

Explorer

• 

9 Messages

15 years ago

technically we're not supposed to, but apparently i got billed last month and so did some others.  i forgot the other thread, but there were a couple people with data charges using the built in IM program.  hopefully you don't get billed so we can see whether att fixed it or not, but in case u do, u should try out the server fix a few posts up.  goodluck with that.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

15 years ago

I tried your little trick and I saw no data charges in my online account for that day. Very cool. Though what bothers me is that other propel users will think it's normal to be billed for data and will just accept it, like I've seen on yahoo answers when I was googling this problem. Sneaky, sneaky.

Anyways, thanks a bunch!

Explorer

• 

9 Messages

15 years ago

no problem.  just wanted to help any other propel/att user who r getting billed because of att's stupid mistake.  it is kinda fishy they're selling phones that r improperly set, but good thing there's the internet.

Guru

• 

983 Messages

15 years ago

Any idea how I would access that menu on a Motorola Z9?  I had the same issue with their pre-installed IM clients, but can't access the menu to verify the addresses being used.

Explorer

• 

9 Messages

15 years ago

update:  success, the bill just came in, and no data charges.  so i suggest anyone that is getting billed to change their settings.

and about the z9, i haven't owned a moto for a long time so i have no idea how to change the settings.  i remember that in order to change things on a moto, there was some editing on the phone internals, but i forgot how to do that.  if u want to know more about hacking a moto, try googling seem editing.  goodluck.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.