For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
rosald's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, September 12th, 2018 10:04 PM

INternational WiFi calling

I have an iphone 6.  I am going to Italy and was planning to bring a device that provides a portable wifi hotspot.  The hotspot provider will give me free calls to anyone who also has their app. But will charge 10 cents a minute for any other international calls. So I will have wifi wherever I go. I have some confusion and some questions:

1) If I do not buy the AT&T International plan, what does that mean if I make phone calls or send texts to other AT&T phones that are in my plan, but also in Italy with me? 

2) What does that mean to making phone calls to the US?  Do I trigger my AT&T phone orhave to pa long distance rates if I am using their wifi?

3) If I do sign up for the AT&T International plan, can I use my iphone 6 as a hotspot for a computer or do I still have to have a wifi signal from somewhere?  What I am asking is, do I have to have both the International plan and a wifi hospot or is it overkill.  Help - I am not a technical savant!  Thanks so much for your help

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

The answers depend on whether your phone is on WiFi calling or not. If you roam on an Italian carrier, you pay international rates for all calls. Those rates differ depending on whether or not you have an international plan. If you are on WiFi calling, all of your calls are the same as if your phone was physically in the US. Calls to US numbers are covered by your regular plan. Calls to international numbers pay international long distance. Just remember that simply being connected to WiFi does not mean you are on WiFi calling. Unless you see “AT&T WiFi” on your display, you are not on WiFi calling. If you see any other carrier’s name, you are roaming. To prevent that, put your phone in airplane mode and turn WiFi back on. Your iPhone 6 does have WiFi calling, just make sure you activate it and test it before you travel.

You can use your phone as a hotspot whether you get an international plan or not but doing so without a plan would be very costly because you would pay over $2 per MB of data used. Since you already have a hotspot, using your phone as a hotspot would be overkill.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I have requested a block on one of my numbers to disable international calls in July 2018.

Called Att to request a refund for calls charged begore July 2018 thru an App (Whatsspp) using WiFi only with cellular data off. They agreed it was an error and promised refund ($126 for a 20 min call !!) 

again in Nov bill to my dismay not only credit was not given but another charge for $128 was made for supposedly from international calls from the same blocked #. When asked Att they say said the block wasn’t complete and calls can go thtu uf trued again which was news to me. And apparently there is a way to block international callability total but they did not do it abc their records show that! Yet they refuse to give any credit although it’s ATT’s fault for not blocking in spite if the request. And they say even if calls are made using an app on WiFi they will can still charge for international calls! And who wants to call international w $4-6/ min ATT regular rates now a days. There is a glitch in the software of worse Att  does it intentionally to screw the customers.  I got no where talking for nearly 2 hrs w reps/ supervisor/ adversely dropped calls etc!!!

ehst is my recourse short of discontinuing service?

May be should write to FCC ! 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.