Need your talk or text logs?
ProSandDemon's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, March 28th, 2015 9:06 PM

Closed

I have unlimited data - Can I use a hotspot?

I know this has probably been asked already but, if I have unlimited iPhone data plan if I use mobile hotspot will at&t change it?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

9 years ago

You won't be able to use hotspot if you have the unlimited plan. The only way to enable hotspot is to switch to a plan that supports hotspot.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

Scroll down about halfway to "quick facts"

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/unlimited-plan.html

No, tethering and use of your device as a mobile hotspot are not allowed.

Then at the very bottom in the fine print:

Tethering and mobile hotspot use are prohibited.

• 

25.7K Messages

9 years ago

other people have posted that the mobile hotspot feature did not work. before the mobile share packages AT&T would add a tethering package but I don't think those are available anymore

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Thank you

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Why can't the unlimited plan customers enjoy Hotspot tethering? I don't feel as a long time customer that we should be restricted and have to change plans to allow tethering to our other devices! I'm very disappointed in AT&T's decision in not allowing unlimited data plan users to not use their data for tethering!!!

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

8 years ago

AT&T has never allowed tethering on unlimited data plans. The opportunity to use in excess if you share the unlimited with other users or computers.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I just saw the option of the unlimited plan, which is significantly cheaper than the 15 GB plan I'm on now, but without Hotspot support there's no way I'm switching. I would argue that the vast majority of folks wouldn't reach the 22 GB limit, where service is degraded, even with Hotspots supported. I know there are a small number of folks that would abuse the service but they should be easily identified and throttled to make it less than ideal to abuse. 

So 15 GB, which I very rarely come close to with Hotspot support vs. 22GB unthrottled w/o Hotspot support is an easy choice, albeit more expensive. So much so, I'd investigate changing cell service because of a company's poor choice of service.

15 years with AT&T, and lots of options now. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I just upgraded to the unlimited data plan and it sucks for me. I've been a customer for a long time, have all my services with AT&T, cell, U verse, and Direct TV. This unlimited service plan sucks if your job requires you to travel, like mines cause none of my other devices I can use with this plan. Why they just don't make to were other service providers can't use the shared data, and and it not effect the customers that's on the plan. What can I do when I travel and rely on my own data with my laptops?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I just switched to unlimited with DTV and no one ever told me I could not use my hotspot. Now I am traveling and very frustrated. All 4 of us on this account will have phones paid in full in 8 months and if this does not change, we will be leaving ATT and I have been a customer since our very first cell phone. This decision by ATT is completely unacceptable!!!!

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

ATT has never allowed tethering on unlimited data plans.

That is not going to change.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.