Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: I have unlimited data - Can I use a hotspot?

Contributor

I have unlimited data - Can I use a hotspot?

I know this has probably been asked already but, if I have unlimited iPhone data plan if I use mobile hotspot will at&t change it?

Message 1 of 26
ACE - Sage

@Scammedagain

Any current phone has hotspot capability.  It is the unlimited PLAN that is not allowed to use it.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 26
ACE - Sage

@Cityboy911

@Cityboy911 wrote:
The fact that you can use 15 gigabytes are 25 gigabytes and all these other gigabytes of data on the hotspot and not on the unlimited is stupid you can only get the unlimited if you have DirecTV. Then if you you you're 5 10 15 20 25 whatever that you have - Unlimited you're forced to try to get the unlimited is stupid

Pardon?  Not sure I understand what you wrote, try again.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 26
Contributor

I'm stuck on the same boat. Signed up for the AT&T unlimited data plan and now no longer able to use the mobile Hotspot. Verizon and T-Mobile now have unlimited data plans with mobile hotspot features. I'm seriously thinking about switching over.
Message 18 of 26
Highlighted
ACE - Sage

@SunnyDays   You won't get alone.    Att better get their head out of the sand.

Message 19 of 26

@lizdance40 I agree!! Let's hope its SOON... VERY SOON!! Or the bleeding subscriber losses will continue as many flock to the bigger better deal at Big Red...

Message 20 of 26
Contributor

I have been a long time customer of AT&T. I can NOT switch to the unlimited plan because I would not be able to make a mobile hotspot. I am a truck driver, being able to make a hotspot is the most important feature. My current plan gives me 35 gigs for $130.00, its an old plan with no throtting. If I switch to any other plan and don't like it, i can not switch back to my current plan. So when I get home I am headed to the nearest Verizon store. I only hope the head lines are true about Verizon unlimited plan.

Message 21 of 26
ACE - Expert

@Banzmor wrote:

I have been a long time customer of AT&T. I can NOT switch to the unlimited plan because I would not be able to make a mobile hotspot. I am a truck driver, being able to make a hotspot is the most important feature. My current plan gives me 35 gigs for $130.00, its an old plan with no throtting. If I switch to any other plan and don't like it, i can not switch back to my current plan. So when I get home I am headed to the nearest Verizon store. I only hope the head lines are true about Verizon unlimited plan.

Is 10GB of high-speed tethering enough for you?

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Message 22 of 26
Professor

@Banzmor, Verizon is not offering unlimited data tethering. As @Gary L, says, they are limiting it to 10 gig a month. Are you currently tethering all your 35 gig ATT data? If so, you're not going to be happy with Verizon's limit.

"Customers helping customers; not always successfully"
Message 23 of 26
ACE - Sage

Re: Unlimited

@Banzmor

No one here can blame you.  You are exactly the person Verizon's new plan is perfect for.  

Message 24 of 26
Contributor

I'm not using an ATT purchase plan phone. I've got an unlocked Nexus that I bought from Google with an ATT sim card. Can ATT still keep me from setting up a WIFI hotspot if I go with an unlimited data plan? Thanks in advance. 

Message 25 of 26
ACE - Expert

@portsample wrote:

I'm not using an ATT purchase plan phone. I've got an unlocked Nexus that I bought from Google with an ATT sim card. Can ATT still keep me from setting up a WIFI hotspot if I go with an unlimited data plan? Thanks in advance. 

Yes.  

Also, are you sure that phone will even hotspot on AT&T?? (On non-unlimited plans)

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Message 26 of 26
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support