Explore & discover

Helpful Links

I have unlimited data - Can I use a hotspot?

Contributor

I have unlimited data - Can I use a hotspot?

I know this has probably been asked already but, if I have unlimited iPhone data plan if I use mobile hotspot will at&t change it?

Message 1 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unlimited

other people have posted that the mobile hotspot feature did not work. before the mobile share packages AT&T would add a tethering package but I don't think those are available anymore

Message 2 of 26
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by ProSandDemon
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

You won't be able to use hotspot if you have the unlimited plan. The only way to enable hotspot is to switch to a plan that supports hotspot.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 26
Contributor

Thank you
Message 4 of 26
Contributor

Re: I have unlimited data - Can I use a hotspot?

Why can't the unlimited plan customers enjoy Hotspot tethering? I don't feel as a long time customer that we should be restricted and have to change plans to allow tethering to our other devices! I'm very disappointed in AT&T's decision in not allowing unlimited data plan users to not use their data for tethering!!!
Message 5 of 26
ACE - Expert

AT&T has never allowed tethering on unlimited data plans. The opportunity to use in excess if you share the unlimited with other users or computers.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 26
Contributor

I just saw the option of the unlimited plan, which is significantly cheaper than the 15 GB plan I'm on now, but without Hotspot support there's no way I'm switching. I would argue that the vast majority of folks wouldn't reach the 22 GB limit, where service is degraded, even with Hotspots supported. I know there are a small number of folks that would abuse the service but they should be easily identified and throttled to make it less than ideal to abuse. 

So 15 GB, which I very rarely come close to with Hotspot support vs. 22GB unthrottled w/o Hotspot support is an easy choice, albeit more expensive. So much so, I'd investigate changing cell service because of a company's poor choice of service.

15 years with AT&T, and lots of options now. 

Message 7 of 26
Contributor

I just upgraded to the unlimited data plan and it sucks for me. I've been a customer for a long time, have all my services with AT&T, cell, U verse, and Direct TV. This unlimited service plan sucks if your job requires you to travel, like mines cause none of my other devices I can use with this plan. Why they just don't make to were other service providers can't use the shared data, and and it not effect the customers that's on the plan. What can I do when I travel and rely on my own data with my laptops?
Message 8 of 26
Contributor

I just switched to unlimited with DTV and no one ever told me I could not use my hotspot. Now I am traveling and very frustrated. All 4 of us on this account will have phones paid in full in 8 months and if this does not change, we will be leaving ATT and I have been a customer since our very first cell phone. This decision by ATT is completely unacceptable!!!!
Message 9 of 26
Highlighted
Professor
Solution
Accepted by (Former Employee)
Accepted by beckyww
‎04-06-2016 1:18 PM

Scroll down about halfway to "quick facts"

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/unlimited-plan.html

No, tethering and use of your device as a mobile hotspot are not allowed.

Then at the very bottom in the fine print:

Tethering and mobile hotspot use are prohibited.

"Customers helping customers; not always successfully"
Tags (1)
Message 10 of 26
ACE - Sage

ATT has never allowed tethering on unlimited data plans.

That is not going to change.

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 11 of 26
Contributor

Well, it should change....just because a company refuses to provide a service for customers paying $350+ per mo., doesn't make it right. They need to show some loyalty to their most loyal customers.
Message 12 of 26
ACE - Sage

Nope.   You are allowed unlimited data use on the devices you are paying for only.   Asking ATT to allow you to use a ton more data, by tethering to other devices, is not going to happen.

These are the terms.  Just like requiring TV services is a term of the plan.  If you don't like them, then don't use the plan.  

And take it easy swinging the word "loyalty" around.  I see it so often, and when it's used in this way, it is not loyalty.   It starts to remind me of a teenager stomping off to their room and saying I'm a mean mother, or they hate me, when I lay down a rule they don't like.  

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 13 of 26
Teacher

The AT&T sales told me which phones to get to use the hot spot data sharing. Now I find out it is not allowed.
Message 14 of 26
Contributor

The fact that you can use 15 gigabytes are 25 gigabytes and all these other gigabytes of data on the hotspot and not on the unlimited is stupid you can only get the unlimited if you have DirecTV. Then if you you you're 5 10 15 20 25 whatever that you have - Unlimited you're forced to try to get the unlimited is stupid
Message 15 of 26
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support