Explore & discover

Helpful Links

How much of data is used if use my mobile hotspot?

Contributor

How much of data is used if use my mobile hotspot?

I discovered yesterday that I have a mobile tethering feature on my phone. I read that since I am on a Mobile Share Plan I can use it. My question how do I know if it is using my data up? Can the hotspot use make me pay overage charges?
Message 1 of 6
ACE - Expert

Re: How much of data is used if use my mobile hotspot?

Sure it could. It all depends on what device or devices are connected to your hotspot and what data they are consuming. I use hotspot to connect an iPad and I regularly stream video via HBOGo or Slingbox. My monthly use of data on my phone when I don't use hotspot is 1GB or less. When I do use hotspot, I've gotten as high as 5GB.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6
ACE - Sage

The data used will register on your phone and your account.
You can add a data limit or warning to your phone and your account for each device on your account.
(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 6
Community Manager
Solution
Accepted by Community Manager (Community Manager)
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Hi @jayboogie97 Thank you for your question!

As suggested above, it all depends on what devices are connected to your phone's mobile hotspot and how they're used, but this page might help you get a better idea of how much data different internet activities use:

AT&T Data Calculator

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 6
Mentor

That’s a neat little tool.
Thanks Dmitriy!

Message 5 of 6
Contributor

I connected the Mobile Hotspot to my TV and watch Netflix how much data would be used from my Moblie Hotspot if I watched about 3 hours on Netflix on my Mobile Hotspot?

-Breanna 

Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support