Need your talk or text logs?
iifurung's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Monday, June 5th, 2017 1:32 PM

How is International Day Pass $10 plan triggered?

I will be travelling to Peru soon. I want to be in constant touched with my family while travelling; I don't want to be bothered by junk phone calls and will not answer calls I cannot ID.

I will set my iPhone6 text/call Roaming ON; Data Roaming OFF. I will also turn OFF voicemail while travelling.

Question: If I get a call while roaming and I don't answer will the $10 day pass be triggered?

Customer support says, the only way to avoid trigger is to put it in airplane mode. Is this correct?

Thanks for any input.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

The answer is maybe and totally depends on the foreign carrier. Even an unanswered call can result in that foreign carrier charging a minute and if they do, that triggers the $10 daily plan.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@iifurung wrote:

I will be travelling to Peru soon. I want to be in constant touched with my family while travelling; I don't want to be bothered by junk phone calls and will not answer calls I cannot ID.

I will set my iPhone6 text/call Roaming ON; Data Roaming OFF. I will also turn OFF voicemail while travelling.

Question: If I get a call while roaming and I don't answer will the $10 day pass be triggered?

Customer support says, the only way to avoid trigger is to put it in airplane mode. Is this correct?

I'm confused, you WANT to be IN CONSTANT CONTACT with your family but you turned off Roaming data and voicemail? 

As soon as you contact someone you will trigger the $10 charge. If you are in constant contact, I'm not sure how you will avoid it.

Unless that's not what that sentence means...

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

I'l be in constant contact using roaming voice and text only. No roaming data; no voicemail.  What I'd like to avoid is triggering the $10 plan when an unknown caller calls & I don't  answer.  If my family calls I will pay the $10.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Why would you want to turn off voicemail? For those calls you don't answer, I'm pretty sure the longer your phone rings, the more likely it is the call will trigger the daily charge. Calls that are either immediately rejected or sent to voicemail I believe are less likely to trigger the daily charge.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

There are conflicting reports: when roaming, you don't answer a call, they leave a message, you get charged even if you don't retrieve the message. If you retrieve voicemail and listen to it while roaming surely you will be charged and trigger the $10. I can do without voicemail.

Can you answer my question? Can I avoid triggering the $10 day plan by not answering an unknown call?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

I believe I did in post number 2. I've never had the $10 plan but I have travelled internationally quite a bit. My experience with unanswered calls is that some show up on my bill as a 1 minute charge, some don't.  Those that showed up on the bill would have triggered the daily charge. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks Sandblaster.  Do you happen to know if the carriers in Peru would charged you for unanswered roaming calls?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Sorry, never been to Peru. I will say most unanswered calls did not show up on my bill. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

The plan, for me, was triggered by text from AT&T upon arrival at the airport in El Salvador. I had to text back "BUY" before it said it had added it to my phone-it is not automatic just because a call comes. If you do not answer a call, you cannot be charged. You would normally incur charges on the order of $2.05/MB, $3/min, $0.50/msg sent-and those are direct quotes from the text I got from AT&T, if I didn't just accept the $10/day added on. To me, the flat $10/day was a lot better.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@Navyjax2   We are in the midst of investigating the taxes as it it not $10 flat, it's $13.30 as the tax rate is 33%.   Tax on passport is less than 5%.   Passport also allows you to be in touch daily and use calls and small amounts of data while not jacking the bill up to $133 for a 10 day trip.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.