For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
eastwezt's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, April 27th, 2019 9:40 PM

How does wifi calling work

I thought I knew how Wifi calling worked.  Not sure.  I have an iPhone.  If I enable Wifi Calling, the description says "Make and receive calls over Wifi with your AT&T account."  When I'm in a coffee shop, will my calls be using their Wifi?  When I'm at home will my calls be using my Comcast home network Wifi.  Or is there some third option that it would be using data from my AT&T account?  In other words, does it always use my selected network?  Is there some situation where calls would incur charges other than my turning off Wifi to use AT&T cellular?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

WiFi calling will never use your cellular data. Your phone should only switch to WiFi calling if your cellular signal is weak (like one bar), otherwise your phone will just stay on cellular for calls and texts even if connected to WiFi. WiFi calling is a way for your phone to connect to ATT’s network for calls and texts over WiFi instead of through a cell tower.

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

I cannot find any commitment from ATT that wifi calling is supported on prepaid plans and support could not confirm. It did not used to be. It was only on post paid.   Any way to confirm?  

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

The folks at ATT retail also did not know.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

4 years ago

@6stringbeat WiFi calling is now supported on prepaid.

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

Who says?  Any links to documentation?  Ask two people at ATT and get two different answers. Yes and No,  and of course I don’t know.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

4 years ago

There have been multiple posts on this forum from prepaid customers confirming WiFi calling is supported. It’s been almost two years since prepaid started supporting WiFi calling. Search the forum if you don’t believe me.

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

That’s all fine but subject to change without notice since ATT doesn’t officially say that they support wifi calling.  When relying on the service as a primary phone it’s a gamble if suddenly one cannot attend meetings because their wifi calling disappears. That’s what happened to me 3 years ago with ATT. I’ve been using Google Voice ever since as my primary phone but need better mobile coverage than Fi can offer. ATT’s prepaid is a good deal compared to Fi as far as coverage goes, but I don’t feel comfortable giving out the mobile number as primary unless WIFI calling is officially supported.  Good to know people are having success with it but based on my recent conversations with ATT it is still unsupported so either Skype or Google Voice for primary phone at home when cellular coverage is not reliable.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

4 years ago

Would ATT’s official prepaid terms of service convince you WiFi calling is supported?

https://www.att.com/legal/terms.prepaidPlanTerms.html

6. Voice, Data & Messaging Services for Mobile Phones.

General:

Availability of specific services, the time period during which services are available, and eligible devices vary depending on the plan. Voice:Nationwide minutes included in plans intended for domestic use only unless on a Monthly plan that includes in-country calls while in Mexico & Canada. Calling from the U.S. includes calling from the 50 United States, Puerto Rico, & U.S. Virgin Islands. Additional charges apply to all other international calls, including calls using Wi-Fi Calling. Wi-Fi Calling: Requires Wi-Fi Calling-capable smartphone, Wi-Fi network, and eligible rate plan. Excludes pay per use plans. Once enabled, phone automatically makes/receives calls/text messages over Wi-Fi in the U.S., Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands if wireless network coverage is weak or unavailable, or outside of these areas where available anytime you connect to a Wi-Fi network. Wi-Fi Calling is available on select devices. If you move in or out of Wi-Fi coverage while on a Wi-Fi call, your call will disconnect unless you have AT&T HD Voice coverage (911 calls will disconnect even if you are within HD Voice coverage). HD Voice not available everywhere. To enable Wi-Fi Calling, must have AT&T PREPAID account provisioned for HD Voice. Visit att.com/hdvoice for more details. Unlimited Messaging: Unlimited messaging includes unlimited text, picture and video messages within the U.S., Puerto Rico, & U.S. Virgin Islands (and in Mexico and Canada on plans that include calling while in Mexico & Canada) and to select countries. For a list of countries, go to att.com/prepaidIntlText.

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

Assuming the newly released prepaid plans are considered “eligible rate plans” as noted in your post, it’s probably supported going forward.  This is encouraging and at last competitive for AT&T. They had really fallen behind.  Since the new plans are for new activation only, good time to go back maybe.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

4 years ago

There is some question as to whether WiFi calling is supported on the Unlimited Plus plan. There were many complaints from users losing WiFi calling after switching to that plan. I don’t know if it was intentional or not. The complaints seem to have stopped, so maybe it’s been resolved.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.