For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
Indigitus's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, January 17th, 2018 1:14 AM

Hotspot Data 10GB only?

I am not an AT&T wireless customer, but I was wondering if I purchased 1 line under the AT&T unlimited plus plan.   The line was specifically a hotspot, would it onlyu have 10GB of data then it would be throttled to 128k?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

You can no longer add a hotspot device to the unlimited plan. The 10GB restriction applies to the hotspot function of a phone.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

So why the limitation, with Rural 4G just coming online, and offering unlimited LTE 4G, with unlimited data plans??? Time for AT&T to catch up????

Guru

• 

561 Messages

5 years ago

AT&T Wireless is not intended for home Internet. There is a limited amount of spectrum/bandwidth available, and it would cause problems for other customers if you were running your whole house off your cellular plan.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

5 years ago

@ChrisTN57 wrote:

So why the limitation, with Rural 4G just coming online, and offering unlimited LTE 4G, with unlimited data plans??? Time for AT&T to catch up????

At&t offers limited wireless home internet to rural customers with no other options.  The cellular plans on the website are offered to everyone.  

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

Your right, there are rural areas that do not have a good choice. We had tried line-of-sight wireless, but do to our location from the transmitting tower, it was speratic at best. Have used satellite before, with about as much success. Switching to the dedicated hot spot has given us quality internet, but the data limitations are what is of issue. 

My point in this is, leadership at AT&T needs to reevaluate the Hot Spot policy for rural areas. Rural 4G, is "using" existing service to provide service, so it is really absurd to limit AT&T customers.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

Just who do you think is providing the towers and service for Rural 4G?? So that argument does not fly.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

5 years ago

@ChrisTN57 wrote:

Just who do you think is providing the towers and service for Rural 4G?? So that argument does not fly.

If you notice the fixed wireless plans are quite limited.  Low cap and low speed.  Still better than satellite which is always an option in rural locations    https://www.att.com/internet/fixed-wireless.html

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@ChrisTN57 wrote:

Rural 4g actually does not say who they use.  But at 199.99 a month for the top tier that is not cheap.  Yeah ATT could offer something in that price range but I don't think ATT cares about that market right now.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Wow, I created this thread over a year ago and now have action?  I just looked at that fixed wireless and that isn't available in my area.. Go Figure.  ChrisTN57 - Living in a rural area there are usually no answers.  I have Verizon wireless because I know the infrastructure where I am is better off with them.  AT&T and Verizon both have crummy support for rural areas.  EVERYTHING has data caps, the only hope is for 5G at this point, even that will take forever to get to where I am, a couple of years maybe.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

Correct, I have checked availability they that link for where we live, outside Ethridge, Tn., and there is nothing available. Options are satellite, which is pretty much worthless.

The mobile hot spot, again mine is a dedicated hot spot, not thru my cell phone works great. It is just the data limitations. That is what AT&T needs to address. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.