For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
hdale7's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, December 23rd, 2008 9:41 PM

Closed

Help on an external attennae for a Sierra Wireless Compass 885 Card

I am running a Sierra C885 card on 3G network. I am new to this wireless thing and have finally adjusted it where I can get usually 3 bars at about 82db. I want to boost signal and db speed because at times it runs super slow and I disconnect: weather and peak usage times I guess. I found something that might work but am unsure if this can just plug into my card/ it plugs into the USB port, I guess some cards are inside the computer. It has a spot for something/antenna to plug in. I want to purchase this antenna but will I have to get anything else or can I just plug in and be ready. I don't know anything about this company but seems fairly cheap. Radio Shack wanted about 60 dollars for an antenna and then I would have had to buy an adaptor which was like 13 dollars. Anyways, here's the link I am looking at. Is this company good, any other one I should look at, and is this everything I need to just plug in and go. I see it has an adaptor cable but do I still have to buy a special adaptor or not so the cable can plug into it. I don't mean to sound dumb but I've had this about a month and am totally new to this wireless stuff. I just want a little bit of a speed and signal boost. Thank you all.

Antenna Gear http://www.antennagear.net/servlet/the-485/External-Booster-Antenna-Sierra/Detail

Message Edited by hdale7 on 12-23-2008 01:46:19 PM

Accepted Solution

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

15 years ago

Received the antenna really quick. I've been using it for 2 days now. Bumped me up from 3 bars and about 83db to a consistent 4 bars with about a -11db gain or 72db, generally it ranges from 70-75db. I have hit 5 bars at 67db a few times as well. I love it, it was cheap and easy to hook up. The plug in when you lift the flap: at first I had to push it in there kind of hard and was afraid of breaking something. There are no instructions though they have them on the website but it is self explanatory, they should be included though in case someone didn't know how to put the antenna on the base, push the antenna adaptor into your card and then with the other end insert and tighten the connection into the coaxial cable.

So I give Antenna Gear a solid thumbs up. 5 db antenna with a 1-2 signal bar increase, -11increase db and with shipping was just under 25 dollars.  

Guru

• 

315 Messages

15 years ago

I use an external antenna with my 860 AirCard. It's a great help to me. I am not familiar with the company in the link you posted, but if it was me, I would buy from them. In the past I bought all my external antenna gear and adapters from www.alternativewireless.com, however they do not appear to yet have an antenna/adapter setup for the 885.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

15 years ago

Bought the antenna a few minutes ago after I called and left a message on the number for that site last night. They just called me this morning and said, that's all I need to set up and go. Hopefully this works and I was leery of purchasing because I couldn't find any reviews of this website. Will post back when I receive and see if the antenna helps out at all. I was so concerned because it was kinda cheap like maybe it was inferior product or something like that. If I can get 70-75db without disconnecting/losing signal quite often, I'll be ecstatic. I'm in the boonies and used to have DSLwhere I used to live so it's either Dialup or wireless or satellite which is a little over my budget.

Guru

• 

315 Messages

15 years ago

The actual antenna I use looks like the 3 db model (with a different cable adapter I imagine). You got a more sensitive antenna than mine. If you really need a high boost, there are even Yagi antennas (and boosters) available that should connect to the adapter cable you get (or may require addtitional adapters).

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

15 years ago

hdale7 - The adapter cable from Antenna Gear will connect directly to the external antenna prt on your Compass 885.  I have that cable from Antenna Gear and a ATT Mercury which is the same as your Compass 885.  The antenna port is behind a small flip-down on the side of the stick.

I used the Antenna Gear device cable to attach to a WIlson Electronics directional Yagi antenna for my rural setting where I have only one tower for service.  Wilson does not yet make the device cable for the 885/Mercury.  The Yagi must be aimed directly at the tower and you must know the frequency for the signal (850 or 1900 mhz).  I get about a -12dB signal improvement with that setup.

You can get the tower locations and frequency from ATT - call the 800 service number for your account and tell 'em you need to know the tower frequency serving your address.  I found the ATT techs very helpful and friendly when I got this information - this is a special office - the person that answers the general call will have to forward you to the right folks for friendly competent help.

If the antenna you bought does not work, dont'e give up - you may just need a different/better external antenna.

Good luck!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.