For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
mkenny28's profile

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

Saturday, September 7th, 2019 10:57 PM

Have to turn off WiFi to receive MMS

As the title says: At least once or twice per day I have to turn WiFi off on my Note 10+ in order to receive MMS (sometimes up this dozen times per day). I have WiFi calling on so not sure if that is the problem or not. Using Android Messages instead of stock Samsung Messages but it seems to be the same behavior regardless of what I use.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

5 years ago

Anyone????? 

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

5 years ago

Ok let's try this again: Can anyone please help me with my issue? It is driving me nuts.

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

5 years ago

MMS goes through the cellular network, it will not go through Wi-Fi. If you're not getting MMS when Wi-Fi is on, then the Wi-Fi is somehow blocking the cell data. Why that's happening is a mystery without more details.

Is the Note 10 unlocked or did you buy it from AT&T?
If it's unlocked, did you update the APN settings?
When the Wi-Fi is off, do you get a 4G or 3G data symbol?
What city and state are you in?

Honestly, you'd probably get farther and get a faster response by calling AT&T. We're mostly volunteers on this forum.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

5 years ago

I have attempted tech support multiple times but they seem more interested with getting me off the phone than anything. That probably isn't fair of me to say because they are actually trying to help, no one seems to know how to though. This is an AT&T branded Note 10+. After experimenting it appears WiFi Calling stops MMS from coming in if several come in around the same time.Turning Wifi Calling off appears to fix the MMS issue but every so often I still have to turn Wifi off to get them. It is like it just isn't switch to cellto receive them.  When Wifi is off I am on 4G LTE and I am in New Orleans, LA on the latest AT&T software. 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

I am also experiencing the same problem as you are. I also have the Note 10 plus from AT&T and it started happening a couple of weeks ago. It was working fine before. I've also contacted At&t tech support a couple of times and they were not able to help me. I've tried everything. I've done factory reset and checked all the settings with no luck.  I will probably try Samsung support soon. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Same exact scenario, except I'm still on an S8+. AT&T device, DFW, 4G LTE when wifi is off, happens on any wifi I'm on, but isn't super consistent, using Google Msgs instead of Samsung msgs. 

Sometimes I get MMS, but it does seem it's limited to when you receive a couple at a time, like when someone sends a pic via group MMS, along with text copy in the same message. Additionally, when it's between people on iOS vs Android, I can't tell if that has anything to do with it. 

Regardless, it's frustrating as I do like the idea of wifi calling and messages being delivered via WiFi when cell is weak or whatever, but it's frustrating when on a family group message and something relatively important is sent through, but I don't receive it until I leave the building a few hours later and wifi disconnects and I get the message late. 

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

A member in another forum had a fix that worked for me. Enable developer option and under networking, enable mobile data always active. So far I've been receiving my mms like before under wifi. To enable developer option, just go to settings, about phone, software information, then keep clicking on build number until developer option is enabled. Then go back to settings and you should see developer option on the bottom. Hope this helps for now until Samsung or AT&T fixes the problem. 

• 

18 Messages

Mobile data always active, that actually prevents wifi calling from turning on. So your "solution" is the same is disabling wifi calling. Thanks

Coach

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I am having the same issue for a while now not being able to receive MMS messages on WiFi. It started with my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge late last year. Blaming my phone thinking because it's old and started to get slow. I finally got the Note 10+ only to be stuck with the same issue. Tried Google Messages app, that didn't work. Thanks @Airic21, I'll try this out tomorrow.

BUT Seriously AT&T, fix it already!!! I doubt this is a  Samsung firmware issue. My old Galaxy S7 Edge used to get MMS over Wifi and then it stopped. This definitely started happening after an update that got pushed through. I can't believe not more people are complaining or is it only certain AT&T customers that are being targeted? 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Here are more details. Problem exists with Wifi calling enabled. Turning of wifi calling allows mms to work with wifi enabled. Other vendors have a "prefer celluar" option for wifi calling to solve this. Att has no options. I have Samsung 8, wish att would fix this.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I have had the same problem. Was suggested i do a factory reset. Didnt work. Turns out this is a known issue and I went through all that and redoing my settings for nothing... Other folks out there reporting same issue. They say enabling developer options and choosing to enable option to keep wireless data active works, but i have tried that and it only works sometimes... this is a pain and going on several months. AT&T really needs to get a fix out for get the manufacturer to fix this. It is getting absurd.

• 

18 Messages

Because setting data to stay active prevents wifi calling from enabling. Getting to a place with no service switches to wifi calling and the problem with no MMS arises once again.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.