Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Group text limit of 10 recipients, WHY?

Teacher

Group text limit of 10 recipients, WHY?

When is AT&T going to fix the problem of having a limit of only being able to send a group text to 10 recipients?  No other carrier has a limit on the amount of recipients that can be sent a group text except AT&T.  When are they going to fix this huge problem that they constantly seem to ignore and not give a real answer too? 

I have been with AT&T for over 22 years and their cell service is great, but their customer service is the worst, and their in store service is just as bad.  The question I asked above has been a constant problem that people have complained about for a while now and they never do anything about it.  Just watch how they answer the question above, if they even respond to it at all.   I guarantee you they will dance around it or use some lame excuse like it's an Iphone problem.  Well I don't have an Iphone, I have a new Samsung S6 Impact and I know other people who have the same phone as me but with Verizon and they have no problem sending group text messages with no limit on the amount of recipients they choose to send them too.  

Why is there a limit of only 10 recipients when sending a group text?

Message 1 of 236
Professor

Re: Group text limit of 10 recipients, WHY?

You've got your answer; continuing to argue won't change it. You are beginning to sound like kid who keeps asking "but why" after they have been told no.

"Customers helping customers; not always successfully"
Message 61 of 236
Teacher

Why do you have to get personal? Your comments either serve to troll the
users who see this as an actual problem or serve no purpose at all. Either
way it's no sweat off my back if you perceive me as a kid complaining.

As long as this company sees that this is something a portion of it's
customer base wants.
Message 62 of 236
Tutor

Getting multiple people to down load a third party app is ridiculous. You need to raise or elemenate the limit. Please do something about this or I will be forced to take my business elsewhere. Even people that still have flip phones can respond to more than 10 people. Absolutely ridiculous!
Message 63 of 236
Employee

If you've read the thread and all others like it the solution of "taking your business elsewhere" is going to be the only solution at this time. There is nothing that can be done to change this. It's a system-wide, company-wide policy that has remained at 10 for the longest period of time.

It probably will never change.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 64 of 236
ACE - Expert

@David606 wrote:

If you've read the thread and all others like it the solution of "taking your business elsewhere" is going to be the only solution at this time. There is nothing that can be done to change this. It's a system-wide, company-wide policy that has remained at 10 for the longest period of time.

It probably will never change.

Unless enough customers actually do take their business elsewhere because of it but despite the strong feelings of those on this thread, I suspect the number of customers actually willing to do that is extremely small.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 65 of 236
Contributor

Or switch to Verizon, this way you won't inconvenience everyone else on group text who don't have the proble.
Message 66 of 236
Teacher

This is a problem and for someone to get on this thread and be a representative of AT&T and say take your business else where is ridiculous. Further more to say this is the way it is always been and there are policies in place to prevent the change is also ridiculous as anything can be changed when all administrators are sitting around a table at a COMPANY MEETING.

I had to learn the hard way of this POLICY when I got put on my departments tactical team and couldn't let other team members know I was responding because we had 12 people in are group text.

Why will AT&T not listen to the customers and maybe offer an extra fee to add this feature. Why is the only way to complain through a thread on this website to have a customer service rep reply with a standard answer.

Message 67 of 236
Contributor

The replies from AT&T are more frustrating than the problem it's self. It is a correctable problem that that choose to not address. And label as our problem. My payment is important just not my customer satisfaction. Nice. I learned a lot about my carrier today and it saddens me that after about a decade with their service that I will have to consider changing. And over a few lines of code that they refuse to rewrite. Nice.
Message 68 of 236

Message 69 of 236

Plenty of people have an issue with it and have a right to complain.  If enough people complain maybe AT&T will do something about, that's how complaints work.  And if Verizon people are complaining about 20 then maybe AT&T should consider raising it to 30.  But you have to admit that a limit of 10 is a little absurd...

Message 70 of 236
Contributor

I ran into the same problem!! Only 10 people allowed in group!! Then the group of 13 friends of Verizon and other carriers were sending me messages and pics and I will not get them neither I could send them messages, it will display "failure to send message" try again. And tried several times with no success!
It is a real problem when you have group of family members wanting to send well wishes, happy birthdays..etc pictures or videos and we the ATT customers are not getting those messages or pics because there are over 10 people in conversation group😱 😢Please ATT follow Verison and other carriers allowing up to 20 or more people in conversation group!!
Message 71 of 236
Tutor

I agree! I'm not going to ask 11 people to use a different messaging app just b/c our AT&T phones won't allow what all other carriers are capable of. AT&T is not the cheapest option out there-- we shouldn't have this issue. I never realized this was an issue, but where messaging is becoming more the norm for communication these days, it's a major inconvenience and this won't be acceptable. We'll most likely find a carrier that can accommodate.
Message 72 of 236
Tutor

I agree. AT&T is not the cheapest option out there, so we shouldn't have to settle for less than what others are getting from their providers. With text messaging becoming such the norm for communication these days, it's not acceptable and would be too much of an inconvenience to ask 10 others to switch to a group texting app just for one person. We will be one not to cry wolf, but will be switching carriers soon.
Message 73 of 236

It is aggravating to be able to receive a group text to more than 10 people and not be able to reply to the whole group. You can reply to an individual in the group, but not to the whole group. My son was on a soccer team with 18 players. When the coach sent a group text to all the parents I could not reply to all of them. At least I did find out I could reply to the one who texted the group, but the whole group didn't get the reply. I don't know of another carrier that does this. I can understand a limit of a higher total of like 50 or 100, but 10 is ridiculous. Even 25 would be acceptable for most groups, but it shouldn't be that low. There are some group texting apps that don't require the members to use the app, but that doesn't help me if I'm not the leader using the app or it doesn't send to all in a reply.
Message 74 of 236
Contributor

I found that when I am replying to group text of more that 10.. turn off the MMS then reply to the group txt... It would say outgoing in the status and then I would go back to settings and turn back on the MMS and I found that the reply goes through.. I have tried it a couple of times and it worked..I know it seems like alot of work but this the only way I found until ATT fixes this issue

Message 75 of 236
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
NEW - Take a look at our best value & price ever for unlimited wireless - AT&T Unlimited Starter and AT&T Unlimited Extra plans!

Additional Support