Need your talk or text logs?
WOMracing's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, September 15th, 2015 3:20 AM

Why is my maximum group text limit only 10 recipients?

When is AT&T going to fix the problem of having a limit of only being able to send a group text to 10 recipients?  No other carrier has a limit on the amount of recipients that can be sent a group text except AT&T.  When are they going to fix this huge problem that they constantly seem to ignore and not give a real answer too? 

I have been with AT&T for over 22 years and their cell service is great, but their customer service is the worst, and their in store service is just as bad.  The question I asked above has been a constant problem that people have complained about for a while now and they never do anything about it.  Just watch how they answer the question above, if they even respond to it at all.   I guarantee you they will dance around it or use some lame excuse like it's an Iphone problem.  Well I don't have an Iphone, I have a new Samsung S6 Impact and I know other people who have the same phone as me but with Verizon and they have no problem sending group text messages with no limit on the amount of recipients they choose to send them too.  

Why is there a limit of only 10 recipients when sending a group text?

Teacher

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

AT&T are you listening to your customers?

You wasted two of my evenings, because your staff are not trained or maybe they are trained in the art of evading questions that don't put you in a favorable light. 

I went into AT&T store with this exact question ... they took my phone fiddled with it hummed and ha'd and looked at me and shrugged their shoulders and because I just got a iPhone X said it's a Apple problem and I have a warranty on it. I called Apple, and it stumped them too! They had me untoggle some things then put them back on, then download the latest update (11.3), my evening was over, family time was taken away from me, and they couldn't solve it, they suggested that I ask every member on my various groups to remove me from the group and add me again... obviously this didn't help. So off to the AT&T store I go after work, more family time missed, more time spent on something that should've been answered immediately. But nope, the sales associate that sold me my new iPhone X, that was oh so nice to me then, treated me like dirt, disregarded my questions, didn't offer any other assistance, perhaps calling AT&T support on my behalf, none of this, he got up and walked away from me... I was not shouting or belligerent, I was confused and wanted answers. So I called AT&T support, I got a whole bunch of "I understand ma'am, but no further, so I just asked, "so does AT&T have a cap on how many can be in a group" and well after being on the phone for 15 minutes trying to get an answer it was confirmed that indeed they do have a cap of 10 people in a group. I was given to a supervisor at that point because I wanted to know why AT&T does this ... she said it was to protect the customer. I asked when this would be resolved ... Silence. It was suggested that I use a different messaging platform to do larger group message... THIS IS NOT THE ANSWER! And more time taken away from my family.

So AT&T tell me, when will this abviously well known issue, but hush hush issue that not even your AT&T sales people say they don't know about (but today was told by one of them that they use group me) going to be corrected so your customers are satisfied. 

I want an answer. Is it going to be addressed and fixed to have more than 10 people (20 -50 people groups preferably) or are you just going to sweep it under the "rug" for the next 3 years. Oh ... and why didn't I get a survey email after that support call to tell you how they did? I've gotten one every other time. 

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

How about posting the reason instead referring to a policy.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

David,

"Nothing broke,nothing to fix". I think if you reread the input posted here, you will see that no one ever said anything was broke. We are simply asking for a change in the number of text message recipients allowed. {keep it courteous}

John [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

It is frustrating to see that there are complaints for 3 years about the 10 person limit to a group text, yet it appears that AT&T has no plans to fix this - and it is now June 2018.  They say it is to help keep spam messages down (spoke with customer service today)....while I appreciate the thought, they have been having complaints that this number is too small since 2015.  I would think they could at least raise it to 20.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

Ironically, I’ve NEVER received a group message that was spam. ONLY individual messages.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

If your customer base strongly dislikes a feature enough to consider leaving AT&T for Verizon, I'd say something is broken. The anti-spam excuse is a flawed concept for any company, but your group limit of 10 is outrageous. I am using Straight Talk (AT&T), but was considering AT&T PRE-PAID. Seriously considering staying where I am... (Apparently I still can't text more than 10 with ST - not that I really care - but I was going to bring the fam with me. They'll probably prefer to stay with VZW.)

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Spam texts are nothing; I hate the constant barrage of spam calls! "Hi! This is Anne from Cardholder Services; there's nothing wrong with your account..." Or Healthcare, or who know what all!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

Whoa! Back the truck up! I can't send an image of little Fifi with a comment about what a little angel she is? Granted, I'm sure many would be grateful to miss out on that, but [word filter avoidance]

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

For the employee at the phone company, here is the reality with at&t and mobile telephone devices. The 10 people "group text" feature is enabled from the mobile device and has always been 10 recipients for the most part. However, what at&t has done is limit to 10 people any "one " single non-group enabled blast to more than 10 recipients which is totally different. What most "users/consumers" fail to understand is a "mobile device" has a button that enables "group" texting where everyone on the thread can reply to everyone for as long the replies are on the same thread. The code of the text is recognized in the network to allow multiple replies within the thread; it is easy to turn it on/off by going to settings>advance>MMS group AND TURN IT ON/OFF. But the problem is if the feature is off from the phone, the text remains recognized by the "SIM" card " as the same group multiple reply message," and it then relays a message to the network which truncates the blast text. What needs to be understood is, a single blast to 1 to infinity of recipients without "turning on" the group text feature is a singular message to the end recipient without potential multiple replies, and it is still a "single" message (the rest of the recipients do not get replies from others in the tread) and this is what at&t has limited.

Note everyone is paying for "unlimited talk & text" but now it is limited to 10 recipients in single blast text plus all you can text to a single recipient." This problem is eminent in "SIM" cards being installed in devices during 2018, at least my experience started after replacing my previous device, in use for 3 plus years, Nokia Lumia 1520 for the Microsoft Lumia 950 XL on 8/30/2018. Prior to the replacement, my new year's greetings exceed 80+ recipients without issues in a single non-group text, the 25+ messages to the soccer team at least 3 times per week, and others as well without issues. By the way, Metro PCS which uses GSM Network after T-Mobile acquired it does not limit texting as explained in this reply; I used my wife's phone and tested the hypothesis by texting to 25+ people without "group texting" feature enabled, and it proved At & T is limiting texting. Unlimited is unlimited, At&T.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Hello, you have set a text message group limit of 10 people. While I understand you are trying to prevent spam, which never really happens and is easily fixed, you are messing with jobs, because some do require to be in a group chat. This NEEDS TO BE FIXED because it's ridiculous and I have to be able to be in a group chat of over 10.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.