Need your talk or text logs?
WOMracing's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, September 15th, 2015 3:20 AM

Why is my maximum group text limit only 10 recipients?

When is AT&T going to fix the problem of having a limit of only being able to send a group text to 10 recipients?  No other carrier has a limit on the amount of recipients that can be sent a group text except AT&T.  When are they going to fix this huge problem that they constantly seem to ignore and not give a real answer too? 

I have been with AT&T for over 22 years and their cell service is great, but their customer service is the worst, and their in store service is just as bad.  The question I asked above has been a constant problem that people have complained about for a while now and they never do anything about it.  Just watch how they answer the question above, if they even respond to it at all.   I guarantee you they will dance around it or use some lame excuse like it's an Iphone problem.  Well I don't have an Iphone, I have a new Samsung S6 Impact and I know other people who have the same phone as me but with Verizon and they have no problem sending group text messages with no limit on the amount of recipients they choose to send them too.  

Why is there a limit of only 10 recipients when sending a group text?

Mentor

• 

31 Messages

6 years ago

I hate it that leaving AT&T seems to be the only option for the customers
when dealing with this issue. We (8- AT&T long time customers) are also
switching because of the limit. What makes it easier to leave is the fact
that AT&T just doesn't care to even try to resolve this issue. If they
don't care enough to try to keep its customers from leaving,then I don't
care enough to remain loyal to AT&T.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

This is really inconvenient.  I had no idea as I just switched from sprint.  It's obviously not advertised before you switch because that would have been a deal breaker!  I've never even heard recipient limits were a  thing, dumb. 

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

6 years ago

All wireless carriers have a Group send limit for SMS/MMS texting. It seems like Sprint is between 10-15. ATT is 10. Verizon is 20.

Keep in mind, you can try to send messages to 100’s and think it was successful, but in reality the message will only be received by the limit of your carrier. There is no indication that many did not receive your message.

My Group is 16 with most being on Verizon, so I had little choice other than switch to Verizon.

If your group is over 20, the only choice is a Group texting app like Whatsapp. Apps are probably the best way to go, but everyone in your group must agree to use the chosen app.

It’s very common for families with kids in school sports to attempt to communicate with SMS/MMS texting and it turns into a confusing mess missed messages due to a mix of carrier limits. It wouldn’t be as big of a problem if all carriers had the same limit.

The long term solution is extinguish SMS/MMS texting which has many downfalls and move to a robust universal messaging system without limitations. Don’t hold you breath.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Is there any way to get around the AT&T limit of 10 people per group message?  My daughter and I are both often embarrassed by being the only ones who cannot participate in a message group because of this. 

My husband has Verizon so he will switch all the rest of us to his Verizon account this week if there is no way around the 10-person limit. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I did’t know ATT limit group messages to 10 recipients? If this is true I will leave ATT then go to different carry

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Why doesnt at&t just fix this problem?  Id like to see them ad this in their advertising

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

ATT fix this.  My church group is 16 people.  That's not a big enough group to warrant as all getting a 3rd party app.  Need to be able to text eachother.

Can we raise limit to 20 at least?

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

6 years ago

My group is 16. I was forced to switch to Verizon and it works fine now.

We have 14 on Verizon and 2 on ATT. Everyone on Verizon can reply to all 16 members. The 2 that remain on AT&T can only reply to 10.

I’m glad I switched.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Our bible study decided to use Slack, it’s working well other than training people to go there instead of text. Old habits are hard to break.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

There should at least be a 20 limit. 10 is way too small. Come on AT&T. You need to do better. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.