For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
WOMracing's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, September 15th, 2015 3:20 AM

Why is my maximum group text limit only 10 recipients?

When is AT&T going to fix the problem of having a limit of only being able to send a group text to 10 recipients?  No other carrier has a limit on the amount of recipients that can be sent a group text except AT&T.  When are they going to fix this huge problem that they constantly seem to ignore and not give a real answer too? 

I have been with AT&T for over 22 years and their cell service is great, but their customer service is the worst, and their in store service is just as bad.  The question I asked above has been a constant problem that people have complained about for a while now and they never do anything about it.  Just watch how they answer the question above, if they even respond to it at all.   I guarantee you they will dance around it or use some lame excuse like it's an Iphone problem.  Well I don't have an Iphone, I have a new Samsung S6 Impact and I know other people who have the same phone as me but with Verizon and they have no problem sending group text messages with no limit on the amount of recipients they choose to send them too.  

Why is there a limit of only 10 recipients when sending a group text?

Teacher

• 

29 Messages

6 years ago

I asked a rep from Textra, which is a very good SMS/MMS app for Android. His response was AT&T is the problem, not third party texting apps.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@tuanskie

textra is a nice SMS app, but it does not support group messaging beyond carrier limits.  It’s really not more than a skin.  

Seriously, ATT has bigger problems that can’t be solved with a free app.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

We are in Ojai, CA and have been desperately trying tp put together a list of our neighbors to keep up to date of the fire situation and evacuations and who has lost homes and what roads are open and protecting our neighborhood from looters.  We are in the midst of the largest fire.. Thomas Fire and guess what ATT?  We do not have time to research alternate APS or download them or test them or run several group txtx msgs while packing and running from fires!  Please help us!  If not. We will find another carrier!

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@Ojaiuser

You dont have to research.  Download and use GroupMe.  It works.  And it will do the job now without any carrier changes or extra charges. 

All carriers have limits.  Verizon allows 20.    If your group exceeds 20, you have no options but to use a group message 3rd party app.  

In the middle of an inferno, everyone is going to change to another carrier with a limit, rather than take a suggestion that works excellently for others.  How does it make sense?

It works on any device.  You can notify the group to use the app, without them having the app.

despite my annoyance at the avoidance of an obvious solution, I am very much praying for those in danger.  Horrible.  

IMG_6181.PNG

1 Attachment

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

Actually, there is a significant difference between a “solution” and a “workaround”. Too bad everyone doesn’t seem to understand this.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

That only works if all members have smart phones. Believe it or not, some
people still don’t have them. In that case there is no app. Only carrier

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

So I had some time while in traffic this evening so I thought I would call AT&T customer service to again inquire about the texting group limitation to 10. What an exercise in futility. Guy was clueless. His first explanation was the limitation was on all iPhones and Apples fault. I explained that wasn’t true as I have coworkers who have iPhones on Verizon without any such restriction. He didn’t believe me insisting that ALL iPhones are limited to 10. So I countered that my daughter, on my same account, has an iPhone 7 and has a text group with 20 people on it. He then explained that was because she had an S7, as in Samsung. I told him, again, it was an iPhone 7 and he argued that she didn’t have an iPhone but an S7. Really?! At that point

I didn’t want to talk to him any more and I wanted my issue escalated to a supervisor.

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

After several minutes on hold I got a pleasant young lady who again insisted it was an Apple issue and not AT&T. After some more back and forth and her realizing I wasn’t going away, she finally came up with a very scripted response that AT&T has limited the groups to 10 to combat spamming. She further added that the limit “may vary from device to device” and that AT&T was "looking into other options".

Mentor

• 

31 Messages

6 years ago

Two way texting using group me will only work if all recipients are using the app. If one person in the group replies without the app, they will only reply up to the limit set by AT&T.  In that case, the conversation gets cut apart and a user could be missing a critical text. 

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

I asked her to escalate my concern further and she said the system would not allow her to because my texting was actually working as it is supposed to. I finally let her off the hook because I was at my destination and already wasted over 30 minutes on the phone with ZERO progress.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.