Need your talk or text logs?
WOMracing's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, September 15th, 2015 3:20 AM

Why is my maximum group text limit only 10 recipients?

When is AT&T going to fix the problem of having a limit of only being able to send a group text to 10 recipients?  No other carrier has a limit on the amount of recipients that can be sent a group text except AT&T.  When are they going to fix this huge problem that they constantly seem to ignore and not give a real answer too? 

I have been with AT&T for over 22 years and their cell service is great, but their customer service is the worst, and their in store service is just as bad.  The question I asked above has been a constant problem that people have complained about for a while now and they never do anything about it.  Just watch how they answer the question above, if they even respond to it at all.   I guarantee you they will dance around it or use some lame excuse like it's an Iphone problem.  Well I don't have an Iphone, I have a new Samsung S6 Impact and I know other people who have the same phone as me but with Verizon and they have no problem sending group text messages with no limit on the amount of recipients they choose to send them too.  

Why is there a limit of only 10 recipients when sending a group text?

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

7 years ago

Would love to switch, but I can't.  Actually, I don't understand the 'if you don't like it change' or the 'it's not broken' statements.  This is a request for better functionality and most modern companies try to listen to their customers.  A bunch of people on this post are saying that 10 is not enough; and it's not.  Think about it.  12 of your friends form a sports team and want to text about practice, etc.  Can't do it.  15 of your friends plan a summer vacation together.  Can't use text as a group.  In this modern world a limit of 10 in a group is ridiculous.  ATT isn't the only carrier with this issue. In the end, we switched to Whatsapp. That meant our group of 14 had to add a new application to their phones and have a second place to 'text'.  Finally, to the point that someone will always need one more, it's simply not a complete thought.  Yes, someone will need 500... but that is 1 in a million.  I'm almost certain that a limit of 20 or 25 would satisfy 98% of customers.  So just how many are going to want 'one more' after that?  A number too small to worry about.  How many want the limit to be raised just a little.  A much larger number of people.  Like anything, there are diminshing returns.  ATT, just needs to look at the needs in the market and choose a better number.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I too am part of a group that has 11 members. C'MON ATT, listen to your customers. I have a verizon phone for work and can text 20 project managers, no issues. Since I've had ATT it has been bad. So bad they gave me a free Galaxy S5, and a free Ipad. They credited $300 to my account and offered me a free iwatch. The real reason I stayed? The promise of no big issues like I've had. SINCE then I've had a lot of little issues though, like this 10 person limit deal on texts. The 11 man group I'm in is EXTREMELY important, which means I'm done with ATT. I will be switching to Verizon for my personal account t tomorrow 10/27. BY the way, this is my first EVER post in a forum, it took a lot to get me here.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Everyone is spot on here. The one thing I disagree with is in the original post where they say AT&T has the worst customer service. Not sure what you smoked before coming up with that but as someone that has worked for Verizon for 11.5 years and had ATT for a little over 6 years I can tell you, without a doubt, not only do they not have the worst customer service, they are the best and it's not even close. It's the ONLY cell phone company that you get an American EVERYTIME you call. Every single other company uses horribly trained overseas reps that not only know less than any of us, but have absolutely zero repercussions for giving misinformation and/or lying to customers. None of what I just said is my opinion, those are facts. Now alllll that being said I will never go back to Verizon, even though I'll be working there another 20 years atleast. But I am DONE with the 10 person limit. It's 2016, there is absolutely zero excuse for it. Within the last year I started running a learn to play hockey program for special needs kids with 15-20 kids and i also became a union steward at the Verizon office I work at and there's 14 others. Both of these situations require more than 10 person group texts. I am truly a little shocked that the AT&T reply to this thread was "yeah we suck, try a third party app". Anyways, I do the AT&T next thing and the day my 6S plus is paid off i will be going to Sprint most likely. After all these years with AT&T I'd hate to switch over a single issue.... but in 2016 itnis truly ridiculous we are even having this conversation. They've got roughly 10 months to figure it out or I'm gone. If a joke of a company like T Mobil has the ability to group text more than 10 people, there is absolutely NO EXCUSE for AT&T to not be able to. AT&T probably misplaced more money than the entire T Mobil company made last year, no excuse at all for this and I'm done with it.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

This is absolutely insane! I am researching solutions to send group text messages for the company that I work for and I discover this thread about AT&T's seemingly arbitrary limitation of 10 recipients for text messages. I told my administrator that we either need to change providers or have all staff download the same 3rd party app. Neither option is easy for our organization but it seems like switching providers would be the best solution if AT&T is not going to increase the texting limitations. It is unfortunate that AT&T and the few employees who post here stand firm with their texting limitations since their rigid stance will result in them losing small business accounts like ours. There are service issues that we are experiencing with AT&T as well so I'm going to work with our administrators to change to a provider that will meet our needs.

I have also had some mixed customer service experience with AT&T but I do complain about the bad experiences and they contact me to follow up. Most, if not all, conversations with customer service are recorded so it is easy to reference a conversation and have them follow up with the employee in question. I am hoping that they do re-train customer service employees that don't provide quality service. 

To the employee who keeps posting that "nothing is broken so there isn't anything to fix":

Please stop posting this. I believe most customers are aware that there is not a functionality defect or a problem with the messaging service that needs to be fixed. The problem people are referencing is the problem they experience with the limitation on the # of recipients in a group text. It might not be a problem for you, whoever you are, but it is a problem for many of us customers who are trying to communicate as efficiently as possible using AT&T's services. Please do not add to the frustration by repeatedly responding without a real solution.

~ A concerned customer

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Mia949 Why not use a third-party app, Google Hangouts is great for this type of situation, for example.

It's a simpler app to manage larger-scale conversations anyway, and it's pretty ubiquitous, unless you're using a Win Phone(s), in the group?

The limitation is what it is, AT&T seems pretty steadfast, in an attempt to limit spam distrubtion, but changing apps sure seems easier than changing carriers, to me...

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

7 years ago

Factual information is being posted. There is nothing subjective about what is broken and what isn't broken.

I understand that it's frustrating and that may be unacceptable to you but that is how it stands on the group messaging limit. Just like tethering on unlimited plans, the standard 1MB MMS limit and lots of other arbitrary limitations this may never change.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

TO the ATT  employee that keeps saying nothing is broken and needs to be fix.  There is a problem. Times have changed and your customers are paying you for a service and their needs are changing. CHANGE WITH US and keep us as loyal customers. We need to be able to text groups of more than 10 individuals. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Our family just concluded a month long search in the Columbia river gorge in Oregon for a family member who fell off a cliff and died. This 10 person limit significantly hindered our communications efforts and directly caused significant unnecessary grief for family members. This AT&T policy really hurt our family. Even now while posting this, I am wishing I could respond to a 14 person group text regarding the funeral arrangements. Indescribably LAME, AT&T!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

For the AT&T rep that says "there isn't a problem, so it can't be fixed," please stop with the symantics.

People realize how convienient it is to be able to send and receive a text message to multiple people. Its 2016 (almost 2017), there are 4G networks now, I'm quite sure it can handle sending a few kilobytes of text to 11+ numbers.

Please let us text more than 10 people at a time.

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

7 years ago

@TheRazor wrote:

For the AT&T rep that says "there isn't a problem, so it can't be fixed," please stop with the symantics.

People realize how convienient it is to be able to send and receive a text message to multiple people. Its 2016 (almost 2017), there are 4G networks now, I'm quite sure it can handle sending a few kilobytes of text to 11+ numbers.

Please let us text more than 10 people at a time.

Then people need to stop insisting that ATT "fix it". They want a change in policy, not a fix. Re-read the original post asking for a fix.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.