Need your talk or text logs?
CKron1's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Monday, July 13th, 2015 7:32 PM

Group text limit - AT&T PLEASE REMOVE

This message is intended for AT&T::
PLEASE remove the group text limit of 10 people. It is very frustrating to use this feature with such an absurd limitation. What's the point of group text? I've contacted Apple and read numerous posts on this forum and the issues lies with AT&T.

Please respond to this message.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hi there! @CKron1 Thanks for posting your feedback.

AT&T is committed to limiting spam messaging over our network so we limit group messaging to 10 people at a time.

We would recommend using email if you have more than 10 recipients that you need to stay in contact with at any given time.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Thank you

Charise

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

9 years ago

I would suggest oyu use a group messaging service so that you can have cahts larger than 10 people.  Skype or GroupMe are two that come to mind.

Teacher

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

1) That's RUDE!  "Use something else..." ???  I coach multiple kids' sports teams and email is not "fast" enough when I need to communicate something about a last minute change.

2) I don't want to have to install another app just because AT&T has a ridiculously low limit on the # of people I can add to a group chat.  I can understand not allowing 100+ recipients because then you start running into problems with potential SPIM (spam for IM) but 10?  I coach multiple kids' sports team and usually have between 12-15 kids on each team.  How about raising the limit to 20 or 25?  Then even big teams (football) could be handled with just 2 groups.

Teacher

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Charise,

If the OP or I wanted to use email, then we would. Email is a passive notification system, SMS is an active one. I just realized that months of bizarre problems with text messages from a sports team my kids participate on are the result of this stupid limitation.

You say it is to prevent spam. But that is a stupid reason. Spammers can figure a way around the limitation, real users suffer from it. Then you have the audacity to close this case of solved. Solved? Did you open the post?

If you are still attached to the post, please escalate this ticket to your management. It is inexcusable to have the limitation. Orher providers do not do the same.

[Please keep it courteous]

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

9 years ago

@acsteitz wrote:

1) That's RUDE!  "Use something else..." ???  I coach multiple kids' sports teams and email is not "fast" enough when I need to communicate something about a last minute change.

How, exactly, is it rude to explain (nicely, btw) the reason behind the policy and to offer an alternative?

Tutor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I am still having trouble with AT&T as they STILL have a limit on group messaging capped at 10.  I do not believe that it is their job to try to "limit" my spam messages.  if that was the only reason, then it could easily be capped at 50 contacts, which would still cause problems for spammers.Clearly this has been an issue for a very long time with your users (read the community board) and AT&T has done little to remedy the situation beyond offering other apps to use.  I would like to know that the powers that be at AT&T are looking into this problem and not ignoring it.  It seems as though many users are planning on switching carriers over this relatively small issue.

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Hi Charise,

This limit of 10 recipients really is totally wrong.  I understand ATT is trying to use this as a tool to combat text spam, but all this limit is really doing is hampering honest users.  A spammer will have an automated approach to get around this limit of 10 recipients very easily.

Please push this up the ATT chain of command to get this limit removed.  It is negatively impacting your customer base.  A lot of people on the forums are upset about this.

Regards,

Brian

Mentor

• 

22 Messages

9 years ago

What's really odd... Not every AT&T customer is subjected to the odd recipient limit. After being unable to send group texts to more than 10 people, I went to an AT&T store. The salesman told me there is no limit. He then proved it by sending a group text to his entire fantasy football group. 12 people. Same phone as me. I then showed him that I couldn't. After calling technical support, we were told there is a 10 recipient limit.
He was puzzled, and I'm still puzzled.

Should have stayed with Verizon. Looks like porting to AT&T was a HUGE mistake.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

9 years ago

T-Mobile has a limit of 10 also. Verizon is capped at 10 as well. This is the standard in the industry. Every other carrier has these limits imposed also and the rest of us are grateful for them limiting the group texts to prevent spam messages. 

Mentor

• 

22 Messages

9 years ago

Your information on Verizon is incorrect.  I don't know about T-Mobile, but with Verizon I was never limited to 10.  I was even in group threads with more than 20 recipients.

I'm in a group text thread (or used to be) with 14 clients who all use Verizon.  Everyone but me is able to participate in the group text conversation.

This IS definitely an AT&T problem.  

***In talking with AT&T, device manufacturers also set recipient limits.  My current device has a 25 person cap. Unfortunately, AT&T will not allow me to use even half of that.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.