Need your talk or text logs?
Wanie44's profile

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

Wednesday, September 10th, 2014 4:08 AM

Grandfathering my unlimited data plan

When I get a new iPhone 6, how can I make sure I still keep my unlimited data plan that I've had since the first iPhone came out?
I have it on my iPad as well.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

Hello everyone,

Just to clarify, you will be able to keep your unlimited data plan when you upgrade. Please see this thread for more details. You can send us a private message for any account specific help by clicking here. Please include your full name, phone number, account number and the best time you can be reached.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Employee

• 

156 Messages

10 years ago

You should be able to keep the unlimited data plan when you upgrade, same as when you upgraded to your last iPhone. As long as you don't make any changes to your data plan you'll be able to keep it. Hope this helps!

Teacher

• 

31 Messages

10 years ago

I had to fight to keep it.  When you pre-ordered last time it forced you to pick from a list of plans - of course the grandfathered plan was not listed.  I had to spend hours on the phone to get it put back on my plan.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

The same thing happened to me. I went to an authorized AT&T store to make sure I could talk to a live person so I could make sure they grandfathered me again. The associate I got had never heard of "grandfathering" and swore there was no such thing. I swore there was. They made a note in my account file about it and I left with the assurance I still had it. In a few months I got the message I has gone over my limit and that was the first I knew the associate had dismissed my request. Exasperated, I spent ages and ages on the phone to AT&T trying to make my case. Finally someone noticed that it was notated on my file that I requested to be grandfathered. They wrote up a case to be presented to some committee who would consider reinstating my unlimited data plan. After weeks of waiting I finally received acknowledgment that I got my plan back. It left a very bad taste in my mouth for AT&T.
Hopefully, this time it will go more smoothly.

Sent from my iPhone

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

I agree with the comments above. The selection options should have one for 'keep existing plan'.

It's that simple. Easy. That would simplify life for everyone. I suspect that ATT does not want you to have that option without really putting you thru the meatgrinder. So they don't. They dont want folk using the unlimited data plans they once begged folk to buy. ATT should man up and make life easier for their customers. Customers keep them in business and its easier to switch than ever.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I am confused by the previous post. I just got off of the phone with customer service and was told that they will not allow you to keep your unlimited data plan when you upgrade and/or change your device... Even if you purchase it outright. Who has the correct information? Above employee of att states you "should" be able to keep it with no changes to your plan, but customer service rep says impossible to change your device and keep unlimited.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

I just spent some time with the folk at att. Here's what I was told to do:

1. Order phone

When I order my phone tonight, keeping the unlimited data plan will not appear as an option. What I should do is to pick a plan in it's place and order the phone.

2. When I get the phone, I need to call in to att to activate it.

CAUTION: DO NOT USE THE AUTOMATED SYSTEM SINCE IT WILL INVOKE THE (UNDESIRED) PLAN I SELLECTED IN STEP ONE.

3. Tell the att representative to activate the phone with the grandfathered plan.

I was told this is done 'all the time'.

They will need the sim card number and some other numbers to do this so wait for the phone.

So this is what I will do.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

Just to be clear, I was told directly that you CAN keep the grandfathered plan with the iPhone 6 and 6 plus. I also the the assistant write that in my file.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

I'd be extremely careful and consistently monitor this.  My unlimited data dropped off due to an "error" on AT&T's fault; however, they cannot put me back on it....  I've been going back and forth with them for weeks.  They admit I should have it, but they can't put me back on.  Good luck!

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

I talked in depth with an AT&T associate today who promised over and over again that I can keep my unlimited data plan. I'm holding them to it!
We'll see!

Sent from my iPhone
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.