For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
pugnae's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, August 26th, 2016 4:16 PM

Grandfathered data plan, change phones

I currently have an iPhone with a grandfathered unlimited plan.  Since the change at the start of 2016, will I be able to keep my current voice/data plan if

A) I buy a new iPhone through AT&T Next?

B) I buy a new non-iPhone through AT&T Next?

C) Buy any new smartphone not through AT&T and activate it on my existing grandfathered plan line?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

You can keep your plan no matter how you upgrade your phone.

What you need to know is the default plan would be the one currently available.  Unless you select "keep my current plan" and check your account immediate after upgrade to make sure the plan hasn't been changed to the current default, you may have to go through the trouble of getting the grandfathered plan reinstated.

Upgrading at full price with a phone purchased elsewhere does avoid the ATT paperwork that has the default plan.

I have chosen to buy phones outside of ATT and keep my bill low.  No upgrade fees, no installments.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@pugnae If you don't want full price, you can buy an iPhone on no interest payments that is a unlocked phone but I believe you have to buy it at an Apple store.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

Hi, 

I have the original iPhone, AT&T has notified me at the end of 2016 my phone will no longer work because the 2G network is too old, so they would get me on the new network with a iPhone 5s, with no change to my billing and retaining my Unthrottled Unlimited Data.  After receiving the phone, they are now not holding to their word, saying I could get Unlimited Data still (probably throttled) but my bill will go up $35, (from $73. including tax for Talk, 200 texts, unlimited data). 

All I want is my grandfathered plan, non-throttled unlimited data, at $73, AS PROMISED a week ago.  

Anyone out there, PLEASE HELP, advise me if this happened to you, how it was handled, how I can get this fixed.  

This all happened Oct 6th, and my bill cycle doesn't change for a few days.  

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

$0 down is not free.  

Your old data plan was throttled.

Your data plan has not been THROTTLED for over one year.  Not that you would notice as you were using it on a phone using 2G speed anyway.  ATT is allowed to reduce speeds for network management.  You plan is reprioritised after 22 gigs of data.

Due to the mandatory upgrade, ATT offered free new phone, two phones are offered, or $50 off another phone EXCEPT iPhone.  If you want the iPhone you have to pay for it.  Payments are in installments.

Your bill would increase by the cost of the installment in the phone only.

WE CANNOT SEE YOUR BILL.  If you have questions on the actual bill, please post a detailed list of the line items before and after the new phone.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@grandfathered4i The grandfathered plan you have only works with the original iPhone. It can not work with any other phone. Despite what anyone promised it is technically not possible for you to keep that plan. It sounds like they are moving you to the other grandfathered unlimited plan, the one that was introduced with the iPhone 3G. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for the reply Sandblaster!  

Might you know where I can find any details on that iPhone 3g Grandfathered Unlimited Data?  

Anyone out there have this happen?  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@grandfathered4i I'm surprised there is still anyone left on the original iPhone plan. What do you want to know about the other unlimited plan? It is $35 (used to be $30) and is data only, no texts. In addition to that data plan, they probably also gave you the $20 unlimited text plan. If I remember correctly, your plan was $20, so the unlimited data and unlimited text in place of your old plan would account for the $35 increase.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

I think it's pretty amazing an original iPhone was still working.  We hear a lot of fussing about 2 year battery life and throw away phones.  

This phone is an anomaly.  

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

sandblaster: 

Thanks for your help.  My bill shows . . . .

1. Nation 450 minutes + any rollover . . . . $39.99
2. International Roaming . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $0.00
3. Nation Unlimited Calling Promotion . . . . $0.00
4. Data Unlimited & 200 Text Messages . . $20.00

Then the rest is all taxes / fees to Total $73.91

When they say my bill and services are grandfathered in when they move me from the original iPhone to the iPhone 5s, what "grandfathered", how should the bill break down on a 3G or 4G, vs how it was broken down (above) on my current bill?

lizdance40 : 

I've taken great care for it, looks Mint out of the Otterbox case, and the battery lasts days, over a week if it's not being used, which has been the case the last couple years, as they did something with the data, as it will take several minutes to load Google.com from safari, vs when I got it originally and any page would load in under 5 seconds.  If wondering why I didn't change, I was waiting for AT&T to offer a replacement phone, as I heard so many others got one over the last 3 years, plus I was worried about losing my unlimited data if I went to the store and bought a newer iPhone myself.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@grandfathered4i Your entire plan is grandfathered. The Nation 450 plan and every other minute based plan no longer exists. In effect, you have a grandfathered data/text plan on a grandfathered minute plan. Anyway, I suspect your new charges will be something like:

Nation 450: $39.99

Unlmited data for iPhone with VVM: $35

Unlimited Text: $20

plus the other $0 items will still remain. You can cancel the $20 unlimited text but then you will pay by the text. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.