For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need your talk or text logs?
MCBMCBMCB's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Wednesday, November 25th, 2015 5:31 PM

Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plans Should Prepare to Fight

I just want to share my ongoing experience with the community regarding my recent upgrade attempts with my grandfathered unlimited data plan. If you're in the same boat as me, prepare for a fight of obnoxious proportions to get your new phone.

This past weekend I went online and ordered a new phone under a new two year contract and selected the option to keep my current plans. I also set this up for pickup in a local store - I was provided with a list of options and selected the core store closest to me. Done and done, or so I thought.

The next day I went to pick up my phone. I was informed that the Midwest is in a "pilot program" to not offer 2 year contracts in store. I witnessed the most bizarre thing when trying to get help from retention after calling 611. The manager of the store and the retention associate got into a fight on the phone as I listened in despair.

Ultimately, I canceled the order and decided to place it again to be shipped to my home. Apparently that was a mistake as well. The next morning I received a message indicating that there was an issue with my order and additional information was needed to process it. After calling in I learned I have an "incompatible feature" and the folks in retention again assure me they are working on it.

I estimate I've spent upwards of 4 hours, maybe 50% of that on hold, with customer support trying to get this resolved. Moreover, it does not seem that extra information is needed from me for AT&T to complete my order, rather it seemed to be an attempt to talk me out of my unlimited data plan before escalating the issue to the "offline IT department." Whatever that means.

In my opinion the issue in both cases is a matter of internal policy / IT issues that should be resolved with little to no extra attention from me. Frankly I'm still steamed that store didn't just hand over the phone in the first place seeing as how they were contractually obligated to do so.

I'm just wondering if anyone else is having similar difficulties? I'm concerned that ultimately the only way to resolve this issue will be through arbitration or small claims as I'm not very trusting of arbitration.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

@MCBMCBMCB wrote:
Having said that, the data plan sort of is the problem - I haven't been steered away from it yet, but from what I understand from speaking to customer service, their system is flagging that data plan as being incompatible with my device. At the moment, they are describing this as an IT issue rather than a policy issue.

If I had tried to purchase a phone using a 2 year contract, I would have had the same problem, and I am a Mobile Share Value plan (current plan) 

ATT is trying to get rid of as many 2 year contracts as possible and is therefore making it difficult to upgrade that way. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.