Need your talk or text logs?
InfiniteGHz's profile

Mentor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, December 5th, 2018 10:20 PM

Google Chat (RCS Universal Profile) support?

Verizon has recently announced that Google's open RCS protocol "Chat" will be rolling out in the coming days. Being a long time AT&T customer, I am interested to find out when I can expect this feature on my device. From what I've read, AT&T seems to be pushing its vastly inferior "Advanced Messaging" system and dragging its feet when it comes to proper RCS support. Advanced Messaging only supports a few Android Devices and since it is proprietary, only conversations where all participants are AT&T customers. This makes it practically useless as a messaging standard, and to even suggest comparing it to something like iMessage would only be acceptable in a tech-themed comedy club. AT&T will not win this fight, so they have a choice to make. Support Chat and finally give Android users an easy to use RCS system, or don't and force their customers to resort to third-party systems or use the stone age technology of SMS.

I write this with some derision, but I cannot express how frustrating AT&T's lack of enthusiasm regarding RCS have been. Please AT&T, take this chance to lead the industry. American Telephone and Telegraph has a history of innovation. If you are unfamiliar with the history of Bell Labs, I encourage you to look it up. Bell Labs has had a hand in almost all technologies that run our modern world. When it comes to this next step forward, please live up to your reputation.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

These are the types of situations that make me want to leave AT&T.  iPhone and all of their proprietary systems work fine, so AT&T is happy as far as mobile is concerned.  They do not care about the customer experience of non-iPhone users.  I left Verizon for this company, and I regret very much having done so.

Teacher

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I completely agree. It is extremely frustrating how AT&T has been dragging its feet on RCS Universal Profile. The fact that all the other US carriers have at least put out an initial release of Chat is even more frustrating.  AT&T, what are you doing?  If you're going to eventually release it, that's great!  Just let us know something so we have a reason to stay.

Thanks

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@InfiniteGHz wrote:

Verizon has recently announced that Google's open RCS protocol "Chat" will be rolling out in the coming days. Being a long time AT&T customer, I am interested to find out when I can expect this feature on my device. From what I've read, AT&T seems to be pushing its vastly inferior "Advanced Messaging" system and dragging its feet when it comes to proper RCS support. Advanced Messaging only supports a few Android Devices and since it is proprietary, only conversations where all participants are AT&T customers. This makes it practically useless as a messaging standard, and to even suggest comparing it to something like iMessage would only be acceptable in a tech-themed comedy club. AT&T will not win this fight, so they have a choice to make. Support Chat and finally give Android users an easy to use RCS system, or don't and force their customers to resort to third-party systems or use the stone age technology of SMS.

I write this with some derision, but I cannot express how frustrating AT&T's lack of enthusiasm regarding RCS have been. Please AT&T, take this chance to lead the industry. American Telephone and Telegraph has a history of innovation. If you are unfamiliar with the history of Bell Labs, I encourage you to look it up. Bell Labs has had a hand in almost all technologies that run our modern world. When it comes to this next step forward, please live up to your reputation.

FYI Google and Verizon only pushed that to the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 xl its not like they are using it on Samsung and LG devices just a heads up with that.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Yeah st first it's only for pixel 3 phones, but at least they announced by the beginning of 2019 it will go on all the other phones. Anything from ATT yet? Nope

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Still, it's been a long time and it's already supported my most major carriers from Google Fi, Verizon, Sprint, and US Cellular. Has ATT done anything? Nope.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

"FYI Google and Verizon only pushed that to the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 xl its not like they are using it on Samsung and LG devices just a heads up with that."

Wrong! It's also working on galaxy devices. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@Colonel187 wrote:

"FYI Google and Verizon only pushed that to the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 xl its not like they are using it on Samsung and LG devices just a heads up with that."

Wrong! It's also working on galaxy devices. 

@Colonel187 

As of that post on DEC 10th 2018 the pixel 3 and pixel 3xl were the only phones to have it.  Yes verizon has launched to more phones in 2019...  Read the time stamps before you say something is wrong.

Mentor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I think you're missing the point. The fact that Verizon is continuously rolling out to more phones makes AT&T's near silence on the matter even more frustrating.

From gadgethacks.com: 

AT&T is the only major US wireless carrier that has yet to implement the Universal Profile in any capacity. Instead, AT&T subscribers are stuck with their proprietary version known as AT&T Advanced Messaging. This version allows for some of the RCS features, but is limited to only a handful of devices (Samsung Galaxy S7, S9, S9+, and Note 9) and only works when all members are AT&T subscribers. AT&T is exploring interoperability with other carriers via Universal Profile, but no timeline has been announced as of this writing.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Feel free to respond to the important things, 'community excellence achiever,' this is a top Google result for AT&T RCS information.

Important issues:

1. Lack of any official information from AT&T about RCS Universal Profile support.

2. Their has been no response to problem #1 across many support threads and different websites. 

3. @GLIMMERMAN76 continues to ignore the important questions in the top Google result for problem #1.

4. For a cellular service company, your mobile site is abysmal. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@Cloudnine wrote:

Feel free to respond to the important things, 'community excellence achiever,' this is a top Google result for AT&T RCS information.

Important issues:

1. Lack of any official information from AT&T about RCS Universal Profile support.

2. Their has been no response to problem #1 across many support threads and different websites. 

3. @GLIMMERMAN76 continues to ignore the important questions in the top Google result for problem #1.

4. For a cellular service company, your mobile site is abysmal. 

1.  There is never any communication from ATT on future products.  Personally I don't think ATT is going to do universal RCS till apple brings it to the iPhone.

2.  See response one.

3.  If you don't like ATT policy towards ATT's own junk RCS product your free to find another carrier.

4.  That I can agree with.  The main site is not much better.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.