Need your talk or text logs?
meganloc's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, May 24th, 2018 5:34 AM

Going on a Cruise, package questions

Hi! I’m going on a cruise to bermuda and bahamas. I have already purchased the $50 plan for 50 minutes talk and unlimited texting. I have a few questions;

1:Where it says unlimited texting, it says it includes pictures and video messages. When I talked to the rep who applied the package to my account, she said it would use and charge data if I sent pictures through texts, so i shouldn’t do it. Is this true? Why would it be “included” in a package without data if it actually would charge to my data?

2: I will obviously turn off data roaming on my iPhone, but can I turn off cellular data also and still make and receive calls/texts? I would prefer to do this if possible to eliminate any chance of data charges.

3: If I can in fact send pictures for free as part of the unlimited texting in the cruise package, can I do so with data roaming and cellular data turned off?

4: I know I have to disable iMessage, but does my family back home have to turn it off too to be able to send/receive texts to/from me?

thanks in advance!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@lizdance40 Actually, the cruise ship package does cover land usage. From the FAQ:

https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans/cruise-ship-faq.html#

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@meganloc wrote:

Hi! I’m going on a cruise to bermuda and bahamas. I have already purchased the $50 plan for 50 minutes talk and unlimited texting. I have a few questions;

1:Where it says unlimited texting, it says it includes pictures and video messages. When I talked to the rep who applied the package to my account, she said it would use and charge data if I sent pictures through texts, so i shouldn’t do it. Is this true? Why would it be “included” in a package without data if it actually would charge to my data? Picture messages do not charge data but they do require a working data connection to work. As long as you leave data roaming off, your picture messages should still get through. Even if your phone says the picture did not get delivered, it may still get through. The problem is if you turn data roaming on to send a picture, you may then get hit with data charges from other data usage on your phone. 

2: I will obviously turn off data roaming on my iPhone, but can I turn off cellular data also and still make and receive calls/texts? I would prefer to do this if possible to eliminate any chance of data charges. Yes but if you also turn off cellular data then you won’t be able to send or receive picture messages. As noted in #1, picture messages require a data connection to work.

3: If I can in fact send pictures for free as part of the unlimited texting in the cruise package, can I do so with data roaming and cellular data turned off? See above.

4: I know I have to disable iMessage, but does my family back home have to turn it off too to be able to send/receive texts to/from me? No and you don’t really need to turn it off either. As long as you have “send as sms” enabled, your phone will send texts even when sending to what would normally be an iMessage recipient. 

thanks in advance!

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

Just to cover all bases, because we have a lot of unpleasant surprises, is your cruise ship on the list?

https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans/cruise-ship-list.html

Will you be island hopping?  The cruise plans do not cover land.  If you are within range of shore towers, you will connect at expensive pay per use rates.   Cellular at sea may only operate when out of port.  

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@sandblaster

Thanks for correction, my info is dated.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.