Need your talk or text logs?
bobberGman2's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Sunday, October 9th, 2011 12:58 AM

Forward text messages

Is there a way to automatically forward text messages. I have a work phone and a personal cell phone. I want to leave the work phone home and forward calls and text messages. Is there a setting that allows me to do that. Or better yet, is there a ATT system function for forwarding text messages?

Thanks!

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

It's old thread but AT&T Messages lets you forward your messages to the website.

"

With AT&T Messages, you can send and receive text and picture messages from your phone, tablet, and computer, so you can keep the conversation going even if you switch devices:

• AT&T Messages uses your existing mobile number, so messages appear to come from your mobile number no matter which device you use."

I don't know if you use it across multiple phones, but check it out.

-Alex

Mentor

• 

29 Messages

10 years ago

@loganic wrote:

With AT&T Messages, you can send and receive text and picture messages from your phone, tablet, and computer, so you can keep the conversation going even if you switch devices:

Yeah, when it works.  And there's no app for it so you have to load a clunky web page.  And worry with a separate username and password, since I'm sure ATT will never bother to integrate with microsoft ID.  And of course there's no notification.   You just have to kind of guess when a message will come in and go check the page.  It's a nice thought, but it's not a solution.

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

I've never used it personally, but good to know about the details.

-Alex

Mentor

• 

29 Messages

10 years ago

@loganic wrote:

I've never used it personally, but good to know about the details.

-Alex

I bet someone could make an app for it if you could find and share the API details for us though...

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

This feature alone is almost enough to make me want to jailbreak my iPhone so I can have BiteSMS back. 

iOS has come a long way in eliminating the need for modifications, but auto-forward of SMS as well as delayed scheduled sending, not to mention being able to reply within another app are things I seriously miss. 

At least the last one should be fixed in iOS 8, but it's frustrating having to wait for features the device is obviously capable of simply because apple/at&t drag their feet rolling things like this out. 

/rant

Smiley Happy

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

This is a really bad idea for security reasons.

A lot of services now use your phone number to send text messages to you as a second authentication mechanism for two-factor authentication.

If there was the ability to forward these messages at the carrier (network) level then it would make it much easier to get hacked.

Someone I know recently had their bank account hacked this way. Their Verizon home phone service had the ability for the calls to be forwarded (conditionally - upon a speciffic number calling) from the Verizon website. Someone was able to first get into their Verizon account (by having the password reset) an then requested a wire transfer from the bank. When the bank called the phone number on the account to verify, the call was forwarded to the fraudulent party who pretended to be the owner and "authorized" the transfer. Ouch.

This is really not a good idea.

Contributor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

Text forwarding is indeed a HUGE security risk with 2-factor authentication or password recovery.

(Main article:)

http://gizmodo.com/how-hackers-reportedly-side-stepped-gmails-two-factor-a-1653631338

(Source:)

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8541313

I’m currently unsure if ATT offers the option to completely disable Call Forwarding, without breaking other features / services.

I was able to call customer service and with relative ease have a customer service rep enable Call Forwarding. Which is a bit scary, considering the bits of information they use to “authenticate” me were minimal and could be gleaned from other sources.

FTA “There's a constant tension between providing a good customer experience and protecting security and privacy.”

I understand this all to well. Bad customer service review can severely negatively affect a customer service rep’s job.

Bottom line. TEXT FORWARDING IS BAD.

Mentor

• 

29 Messages

9 years ago

dcbentley, the problem isn't forwarding text messages.  The problem is people who think that text messages have a part in any kind of security scheme.

Contributor

• 

12 Messages

9 years ago

I agree with you in part. There is a balance somewhere. I fear most users will find enhanced security like 2-factor burdensome and not use it. Removing text message authentication / password recover, will most likely cut off another avenue of attack and increase security, but will also provide an incredible hindrance to those that did not plan to be locked out of their accounts.

I think the best method would be to test the password reset path. So the end user knows what to do without having the text message backup option. (While they still know/control the account).

Essentially like testing your backups. (Another thing far to many people fail to do.)

OS X Yosemite’s iMessage / text forwarding is another interesting avenue that this could be exploited. (Although this throws the security back to Apple and how they are integrating on the back end with the carriers).

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

My phone was broken and I called AT&T to ask if there was a way to forward calls and texts until their insurance company mailed my replacement.  They said the text forward was done through an android app.  So I downloaded the app on my husband's phone, put in all the information and was stumped by the request for a code sent to the phone that the messages are forwarding from.  I called AT&T back and asked for the "workaround" for that issue.  (If your phone is working and can receive a code, you can use the app to forward texts.)

1st error in logic: I stupidly assumed since both phones involved were on the same account, and associated to both of our names, the account holder(s) and the user(s) of both phone involved could initiate this in some way.  

2nd error in logic:  One of the main reasons they would need an app like this is if someone boke a screen and needs to be available for a text.

After insisting to several customer service drones, and drone supervisors, that my situation is very common and exactly why they would create an app with that function - there must be a workaround!!! - and wasting several hours, I gave up.  

My Comcast/xfinity (cable provider) voip phone has an app that forwards or accepts forwards of calls and texts by entering account password protocols or with customer service.  Think about that, THE PHONE PEOPLE since 1885 are being beaten by my greedy little cable company for phone service.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.