Need your talk or text logs?
Scottsaustin's profile

Teacher

• 

2 Messages

Friday, June 7th, 2019 5:17 PM

FCC Greenlight to block Robocalls

There was a FCC ruling today that permits wireless carriers to block unwanted “Robocalls”.  A friend of mine is on a competitive carrier and they receive a caller ID of “telemarketer” on screen when receiving these calls. Does ATT plan on implementing a similar feature or blocking these by default as permitted by the FCC now?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

@Scottsaustin They already do block some calls, even if they haven't implemented a tag, such as the "telemarketer" one you mention.

The problem is, even WITH the recent (2019, a day or so ago) ruling, there's no great way for ANY VOIP carrier to truly block these, consistently, given a couple of VOIP-re-directs.  
There never will be, either, until we can agree, as a "connected world", to add metadata to re-routed VOIP calls, as a "standard".  Without this, it's VERY easy to get around pretty much any solution out there, even the one you mention on your friends' carrier; I could engineer a way around it, in a matter of minutes (not saying I'm doing this, just that it's still ridiculously easy, unfortunately...).

With only a couple more lines of script/code, the calls looks like it's coming from "your number", to your number, which really confuses people (the bad guys seem to have a good grasp of this fact, again, unfortunately).

It's very much like you see on a "TV crime show", once someone "bounces" a call through 2 or more services, that's it, the origin is lost, and it's insanely easy to spoof the target-caller.

Teacher

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks so much for your explanation, that makes sense (at least to me).  In the meantime, I need to correct myself,  my friend actualy isn't on a competing carrier-he's an AT&T already, making part of my question at least, moot. Thanks again.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

Both my At&t (oneplus 6t) and Verizon (pixel3 xl) phone log show spam or fraud tags.  

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

@pgrey  with STIR and SHAKEN implemented, any call that can’t be authenticated could/should be blocked. The question is will it block calls it shouldn’t as well as those it should.  

Im just wondering why it took “permission “ from the FCC.  The law requiring all numbers be put through got the axe in October 2017.  So what’s this?  The fine line between, “not allowed to block any, to user can block, to carrier can block”.  Gimme a break.   Isn’t that what Call protect was suppose to do?   

I sense lip service all around, any will believe it when I don’t hear it. 

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

Yep, @Scottsaustin glad this provides some "perspective", feel free to mark one of our posts as a "solution" if it fits the need ;-]

That's interesting, @lizdance40 , are you running an add-in dialer app, or something (from ATT)?  I don't see this on any of our OP phones, or at least not that I can recall.

The "Shaken - Stir" mechanism is a step, in the right direction, but is really only going to be effective, once more worldwide carriers get onboard.  Until then, it's going to struggle, still, with the lack of call-metadata, on re-directed calls, I just don't see how it will work any other way...

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Why can't I use AT&T with a regular, old fashioned landline, and register my landline phone number on nomorobo.com?

The nomorobo website says that AT&T doesn't have a relationship with nomorobo so I can't register my phone number on nomorobo.

I registered with donotcall.gov over 15 years ago, and it's not stopping the robocalls at all now, we get at least 6 a day.

Does anyone know any other landline providers that are better at stopping the robocalls?

If I find a provider that is better at stopping the robocalls, I'll switch phone services to them!

(Do you see this message, AT&T???  It's time to do something or you'll lose customers!!)

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@NancyCSI Nomorobo does not work with any POTS landline provider. Nomorobo only works on Voice Over IP or VOIP service. If you had ATT’s VOIP service for your landline, not only could you use Nomorobo, but ATT’s VOIP service also has Call Protect. 

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

5 years ago

Yep, @NancyCSI , there are TONS of VOIP options out there, that provide really good "call screening/filtering", as mentioned by @sandblaster , about the ATT VOIP; I use OOMA, for our "landline" (not sure why I/we are still so stuck to calling it that though ;-]), and they do a great job of this (at least as good as they can, per my 2nd comment).  I can also add "permanently blocked lines" through their interface, if I want to (I'd just as soon report them to donotcall.gov, because it should further things for more than myself, and is not much more work to file).

No VOIP service is EVER going to be perfect here though, until we develop a more "world wide" standard for these protocols (and the metadata that identifies them, requiring it, for ALL calls).  Until then, the bad guys are going to continue to poke holes, into pretty much any kind of currently-devised type of algorithm; I sure haven't seen anything, to-date, that really handles >2 re-directions, across a VOIP.  Given that, most smart bad guys will simple do that, use >=2, and will still get away with it, and there's not much we can do, in our country, or any other country, that's trying to block these...

In some ways, you can think of it as "fencing", or "laundering money".  Once it's exchanged hands, twice, good luck trying to figure out where it came from, right, unless it has some EASILY IDENTIFIABLE markings on it.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I have found a way to stop robocalls. I have not received even ONE unwanted call since installing Magic Jack Plus.

This is no commercial, ... in fact I hesitated a few moments as the thought crossed my mind that the more people who adopt this solution, the sooner the robocallers will invent a solution to thwart its application! But somebody told me and I so appreciate it. Since I don't want to block any future blessings, I'm going ahead and sharing by publishing on this forum.

For those skeptical, the way MJP works is to intercept all calls to your number and require a random number selection to complete the call. Amazing simple yet completely successful solution (at the moment)! Apparently, 99.7% of all robocallers use digital or mechanically assisted devices to place calls and as such, neither technology (as yet) is programmed or able to interpret the random number request and respond accordingly. 

You're welcome. Pay it forward.

Phil

Expert

• 

19.3K Messages

5 years ago

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.