Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Excessive Data Usage on New iPhone 8

Teacher

Excessive Data Usage on New iPhone 8

Why would I end up using so much data in one week with my new iPhone while observing same Internet habits as before when I owned a much older IPhone? In particular, the category Browsing and Technology shows high data usage. I understand Browsing but what constitutes Technology?

Message 1 of 83
Teacher

Re: Excessive Data Usage on New iPhone 8

I haven’t had one since the turn of the millennium. From 6 to 8

Message 31 of 83
Teacher

..... and I haven’t had a 3GS since the turn of the Millennium! I was referencing another post that was offered as a solution. 

And thanks @Callie33021! I will try those things. You ARE a part of the solution! Much appreciated! :-) 

Message 32 of 83
ACE - Sage

@Tkins019   This is NOT your thread.   And not all replies are to you. 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 33 of 83

My daughter and  i bought new phones in December. I bought a Moto G5 which is also a very fast phone and my daughter bought a iphone 8. My phone is fast and not burning data in huge quantities like her iphone. Daughter has been on my plan for years. I don't think we ever went over the limit on data. Last month she brought it to get checked out at a ATT store. The ATT rep did nothing except advise her to shut off wifi assist and prevent apps from communicating. Only about two weeks into the new billing cycle and already getting data warnings. This is unacceptable that the iphone is being sold to customers this way without even a warning about the data usage. Good for ATT but bad for customers. No I don't want to update to an unlimited plan. No I don't think it uses so much data because it is fast. And yes, there seems to be many complaints from customers on here who have the same problem. And ATT must know about the problem because it has to be one of their top selling phones. And after complaining only $25.00 credit. I have no contract and have been a customer for many, many years and this may be enough for me to bail out of ATT even if I have to buy the iphone from them to do it. So angry.  And I was told, well we don't make the phone! So is it still ok to sell it with a known problem?

Message 34 of 83
ACE - Sage

@Unsatisfied2018

ATT didn’t build the phone and doesn’t control the phone.  This is like blaming Walmart because a toaster always burns the toast.  

Take the phone to Apple to determine if it’s defective.  There are also multiple ways to monitor data to determine if the phone is faulty and not connecting to Wifi at home.  First step is turning off cellular for all apps that show high usage.   

https://forums.att.com/t5/Community-Blog/Data-Management-Cause-for-gray-hair-hair-pulling-and-stress...

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 35 of 83

If I buy a toaster at Walmart and I have a problem, they will return my
money. The phone was already brought back to an AT&T store to find our
what the problem was. Everything was turned off before the end of the
billing cycle. Now this new billing cycle is less than half over and 75%
of data has been used. Two phones on account, Iphone is burning up the
data.
lease type your reply above this line -##

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
Message 36 of 83
ACE - Sage

Even Walmart has a date they will no longer accept returns and you must deal with warranty.  

That date with your phone was day 14.  

Again, if the phone is defective you MUST call Apple.  They do not allow carriers to handle warranty

Read the link and see what apps are using data.  It’s not magical or mysterious.

Data gets burned up by WHAT?  All that information is in the phone settings.  

Message 37 of 83

When we discovered the phone was using excessive data it was returned to
a AT&T store. My daughter is not a repair person. My complaint is not
unique. AT&T already knows there is a problem. I became a customer when
Comcast was bought by AT&T (long time) and I am being treated unfairly
by AT&T.  AT&T sold the phone, solve the problem. Treat your customers
fairly. Contact Apple and find a solution to the problem. It is called
customer service. And you can see the problem started with the purchase
of iphone, blame customer?
Message 38 of 83
ACE - Sage

@Unsatisfied2018   

ATT can do NOTHING.  Servicing on the phone must be done by APPLE.  Replacing the phone must be done by APPLE.  We can go round and round, and you will be told the exact same thing by ATT and other customers.   

I gather you already were told to call APPLE.   Now another customer is telling you ATT is correct.  

Call Apple.  

And this assumes the phone is using excess data due to defect, rather than a user error or lack of knowledge.   Normal usage with Home Wifi available is 2-3 gigs a month.  Without home Wifi and restrained use 5 gigs or up is normal.   A common reason for over use of data is the phone doesn’t connect to Wifi.  That is either poor Wifi, user error or defective phone. 

Message 39 of 83

If AT&T does not want to help their customers with the phones they sell,
then they should not sell phones. Every other seller of products in the
USA  will back up the products they sell.  And don't tell me that AT&T
does not know their is a problem because there are too many other
similar complaints about this Apple phone on the internet that are easy
to find if you cared to look. AT&T does not care because they are
pocketing the money on all of these overages and sells the phones
anyway. When my daughter brought the phone to a AT&T store he told her
to shut everything off. A new phone and you have to shut everything off
to not use huge chunks of data? My Moto G5 has a 8 core processor and it
does not do that I have read other posts on the internet where the users
are saying the same thing. They turn everything off, even data on their
Iphone and and it is still using data. Are you posting here has a paid
employee of AT&T?

type your reply above this line -##

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
Message 40 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

You realize apple has the contract with at&t stating apple will do all the warranty of the phobe, correct? It's probably in apples terms of service which I'm sure you read and didn't just clock through

Message 41 of 83

And by the way, the phone was not purchased from Apple, it was purchased
from AT&T.  My daughter contacted an AT&T rep when she first discovered
the problem with data usage. She then went to an AT&T store for their
advise and a solution to the problem. I contact AT&T and told them about
the problem. Long term customer with my daughter on my contract for over
ten years. No problems with data overages! It is nonsense that AT&T is
not aware of the problem with this phone. AT&T has not heard the last of
this, I can assure you. There are other avenues I can pursue that does
not directly involve AT&T.
Message 42 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doesn't matter where the phone was bought, you have agreed to both at&t and apple that apple would handle the warranty on the device. Now the question is, why did you agree to that in both apples ts and cs and at&ts that apple would handle it, if you didn't agree to it?

Message 43 of 83

If you said it is probably in the terms of service I assume you haven't
read them. This phone is on my contract but I did not purchase the
phone, my daughter did. I have been a customer for twenty years more or
less and in the past I brought my phones back to AT&T when I had
problems. One of the reason this phone was bought from AT&T and not an
outside vendor.  And as a customer of AT&T we complained about the data
use problem which is not a user problem but not necessarily a defect in
the phone. That is why as customers we called AT&T for help and advise.
Not the run around that is happening now. Maybe you just have too many
customers with the same problem and AT&T does not want to take any
responsibility for the product they sell.
Message 44 of 83
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have read the at&t terms and they are in there. I stated they were probably in apples so you have agreed on at least one of them, that you would take iPhone  warranty issues to apple and now you are upset you are being held to it. At legally can't do anything with a malfunctioning iPhone. You somehow hold apple to 0 liability even though they both made the product, and are the ones legally responsible for the warranty on it.  The excessive data usage is either the user not knowing how to use their device, or a bad phone, which the problem lies with the manufacturer/warranty provider apple. 

Message 45 of 83
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support